No. 13 Stanford Defeats William & Mary, 6-1
March 2, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - Five singles players won matches to lead No. 13 ranked Stanford to a 6-1 win over No. 67 ranked William & Mary at Taube Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon. With the win, the Cardinal improves to 8-4 on the season, while the Tribe falls to 4-8.
Stanford claimed the doubles point to begin play, sweeping all three matches. The No. 2 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery defeated William & Mary's Alex Fish and Colin O'Brien at the No. 1 doubles position, 8-6. At the No. 2 doubles spot, senior Phil Sheng and freshman Phil Kao posted their first win as a duo, knocking off Sean Kelleher and Stephen Ward, 8-3. Sophomores James Wan and Eric McKean improved to 3-0 at the No. 3 doubles position to close out the sweep, defeating Jeff Kader and Alex Cojanu 8-6.
The Cardinal continued to dominate in singles play, with four of the team's five singles victories coming in straight sets. Warburg, the No. 6 ranked player in the nation, defeated No. 57 ranked Kader at the No. 1 singles spot 7-5, 6-3. At the No. 2 position, No. 31 ranked Corkery was dominant in a 6-1, 6-0 win over Kelleher. Wan improved to 8-0 while playing in matches at the No. 4 spot, defeating Cojanu 6-2, 6-4. McKean, playing in the No. 5 position for the first time this season, defeated William & Mary's Matt Rubenstein in three sets 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. Kao closed out the Cardinal singles victories with a win over Fish at the No. 6 spot, 6-0, 6-1.
The Tribe secured their only point of the match at the No. 3 position, as O'Brien upset No. 92 ranked Sheng in three sets 6-7, 7-5, 1-0.
Eight Cardinal players will travel to compete at the Pacific Coast Doubles tournament in La Jolla this weekend, with open draw play beginning on Friday morning. Stanford will not compete in another dual match until March 21st, when they welcome Santa Clara to Taube Tennis Center.
Stanford - 6
William & Mary - 1
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. Fish/O'Brien (WM) - 8-6
2. Kao/Sheng (Stanford) def. Kelleher/Ward (WM) - 8-3
3. McKean/Wan (Stanford) def. Cojanu/Kader (WM) - 8-6
1. #6 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #57 Jeff Kader (WM) - 7-5, 6-3
2. #31 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Sean Kelleher (WM) - 6-1, 6-0
3. Colin O'Brien (WM) def. #92 Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-7, 7-5, 1-0
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Alex Cojanu (WM) - 6-2, 6-4
5. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Matt Rubenstein (WM) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
6. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Alex Fish (WM) - 6-0, 6-1