No. 1 Stanford Defeats No. 48 Arizona, 6-1
March 4, 2005
Tucson, Ariz. - No. 1 Stanford (11-0) defeated No. 48 Arizona (5-4) this afternoon at the Robson Tennis Center. The Wildcats won the doubles point, but the Cardinal responded with all six wins in singles for the 6-1 victory.
After losing the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches, Stanford rebounded quickly and won five of the singles points in straight sets. Theresa Logar and Alice Barnes both remain undefeated in dual matches after scoring identical 6-1, 6-2 victories this afternoon. Logar is now 10-0 on the year, while Barnes improved to 9-0.
At the No. 1 spot, Amber Liu also remains unbeaten, as she picked up her seventh dual win of the season. Liu came back from a first set loss and scored a 6-3 second-set win before winning a 1-0 (10-7) tiebreaker in the third set, since Stanford had already secured the team victory.
The Cardinal will be back in action tomorrow as Stanford travels to Tempe to face No. 27 Arizona State at 12-noon.
Stanford 6, Arizona 1
1. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. No. 10 Barnes/Burdette, (STAN) 8-4
2.Liu/Yelsey (STAN) def. Balzert/Jakowlew (UA), 8-3
3.Perry/Rochefort (UA) def. Deason/Hodzic (STAN), 8-5
1. No. 28 Amber Liu (STAN) def. No. 33 Dianne Hollands (UA) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
2. No. 22 Alice Barnes (STAN) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-1, 6-2
3. No. 14 Erin Burdette (STAN) def. Kelly Perry (UA) 7-6, 6-3
4. No. 27 Theresa Logar (STAN) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-1, 6-2
5. No. 30 Whitney Deason (STAN) def. Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-2, 6-2
6. No. 94 Anne Yelsey (STAN) def. Jessie Rochefort (UA) 6-1, 6-0