Vlaski Collects 100th Win But Huskies Fall To Toreros
March 7, 2005
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The No. 53 San Diego Toreros handed the 21st-ranked Husky men's tennis team a 5-2 loss today, dropping the Huskies to 10-3 on the year. The Toreros (4-3) have now upset three straight ranked opponents.
San Diego swept doubles play to set the tone for the match. Oscar Plotnik and Pierrick Ysern defeated UW's Andy Kuharszky and Alex Slovic at No. 2 doubles for the Husky duo's first loss after eight wins to start the season.
Senior Alex Vlaski made a statement at No. 1 singles, responding from two close losses in his past two matches with a dominant 6-1, 6-0 win over Ysern, the No. 8 singles player in the country. The win marked the 100th singles win of Vlaski's career, making the Belgrade, Yugoslavia native only the third Husky to reach that plateau. Vlaski, a two-time All-American, is quickly approaching the career singles wins record, held by former Huskies Chet Crile and Matt Hanlin with 108.
But the Huskies could manage only one more singles win on this day, as Kuharszky pulled out his No. 6 singles match, bouncing back from a 1-6 loss in the first set to take the next two, 6-4, 7-6.
The Toreros controlled the middle singles matches. Nic Beuque upset No. 25 Alex Slovic, 7-6, 6-3 at second singles. Senior Christoph Palmanshofer took the first set at third singles but USD's Mirza Koristovic rallied to win, 6-1 in the third set. Sophomore Daniel Chu was defeated 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles by Robbie Blair, and senior Peter Scharler lost for only the second time this year, 6-3, 6-2 to Thomas Liversage in the fifth singles spot.
The Huskies return home next weekend to host the unranked Idaho Vandals on Friday, March 11. The match gets underway at 5 p.m. and will take place at the Bill Quillian Stadium.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. San Diego
3/7/05 - USD West Tennis Courts - San Diego, Calif.
No. 53 San Diego 5, No. 21 Washington 2
1) Beuque/Koristovic (USD) vs. Chu/Vlaski (UW), 8-6
2) Plotnik/Ysern (USD) def. Kuharszky/Slovic (UW), 8-2
3. Blair/Liversage (USD) def. Palmanshofer/Ricks (UW), 8-3
1. (32) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. (8) Pierrick Ysern (USD), 6-1, 6-0
2. Nic Beuque (USD) vs. (25) Alex Slovic (UW), 7-6, 6-3
3. Mirza Koristovic (USD) def. (37) Christoph Palmanshofer (UW), 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Robbie Blair (USD) def. Daniel Chu (UW), 6-2, 6-2
5. Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Peter Scharler (UW), 6-3, 6-2
6. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Oscar Plotnik (USD), 1-6, 6-4, 7-6