Men's Tennis Tops Memphis, 5-2
March 9, 2005
TEMPE, Ariz. - After falling behind 1-4 in the second set, senior Clint Letcher strung together six game winners to take the second and win his match, 6-2, 7-5, while lifting the Arizona State University men's tennis team (5-2) to a 5-2 dual win over the University of Memphis (5-9), Wednesday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
ASU opened the dual taking the first point by winning two of the three doubles matches. Letcher and Mike Beatty won court #2 over the Tigers Alex Bucewicz and Marten Tamla, 8-4, while ASU's duo of Ryan McBride and Nick Hegarty sealed the point with a 9-7 win on the #3 court over Alex Jago and Mark Finnegan.
In singles play, Memphis equalized the dual at one apiece when James Spence won in straight sets over Jonathan Kinsella on the #2 court, 6-3, 6-4. However, the Sun Devils then reeled off four straight singles matches to win the dual. Beatty, playing on court #6, also won in straight sets over Bryan Bankester, 6-4, 6-4. Hegarty soon followed on court # 5 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Mark Felsenthal, who had played at Pac-10 opponent Washington before transferring.
After taking the first set 6-2, Letcher then sealed the dual with his come from behind 7-5 win on court #4 over Mark Finnegan. After dropping the first set, Andy Colombo came back to win the next two sets over Jago on court #3, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3, to hand ASU its fifth point of the dual. The Tigers second point came on court #1 as Bucewicz defeated Christopher Biro in a third-set supertibreaker, 7-6, 3-6, 10-6.
Up next, the Sun Devils return to Pac-10 action hosting No. 8 UCLA on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and USC on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
1. Spence/Felsenthal (UM) def. Colombo/Kinsella (ASU) - 8-4
2. Beatty/Letcher (ASU) def. Bucewicz/Marten Tamla (UM) - 8-4
3. Ryan McBride/Hegarty (ASU) def. Jago/Finnegan (UM) - 9-7
1. Alex Bucewicz (UM) def. Christopher Biro (ASU) - 7-6, 3-6, 10-6
2. James Spence (UM) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 6-3, 6-4
3. Andy Colombo (ASU) def. Alex Jago (UM) - 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Clint Letcher (ASU) def. Mark Finnegan (UM) - 6-2, 7-5
5. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Scott Felsenthal (UM) - 6-3, 6-2
6. Mike Beatty (ASU) def. Bryan Bankester (UM) - 6-4, 6-4
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive