Men's Tennis Falls to No. 8 UCLA, 7-0
March 11, 2005
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State University men's tennis team was in action against No. 8 UCLA Friday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Sun Devils (5-3) fell to the Bruins (13-2), 7-0, in a non-conference dual.
The Bruins took the lead early, earning the first point of the afternoon in doubles action. The Bruins duo of Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta topped the Sun Devils' Andy Colombo and Jonathan Kinsella, 8-1, on court No.1. On Court No.2, UCLA's team of Benjamin Kohlloeffel and Philipp Gruendler overcame ASU's Clinton Letcher and Mike Beatty, 8-3. The Sun Devil tandem of Ryan McBride and Nick Hegarty defeated the Bruins' team of Chris Lam and Mathieu Dehaine on Court No.3, 9-7, to earn the win for ASU.
The Bruins did not let the Sun Devils get back into the dual, as they claimed all six singles matches to earn the sweep. ASU's Christopher Biro fought hard against Kohlloeffel at the No.1 spot, but was unable to pull off the victory, falling in two sets, 6-4, 6-0. Beatty and Dehaine were next off the courts, playing in the No. 6 position, as Dehaine took Beatty in two sets, 6-3,6-0. ASU's Kinsella battled hard against Kwinta in the first set at the No. 2 spot, but could not overcome the Bruin as Kwinta secured the win for UCLA, 7-6 (2), 6-1.
UCLA's Gruendler battled against ASU's Hegarty, coming out on top at the No. 5 position, 6-3, 6-3. The match between the Sun Devils' Colombo and the Bruins' Francis at the No. 4 singles spot was retired in the middle of the match, giving the point to Francis for another UCLA point. The score when the match was called had Francis leading, 6-4, 3-2 (ret).
Rounding out the afternoon of play was the No. 3 singles match between ASU's Letcher and UCLA's Lam. Letcher battled back in the second set to force Lam to a third-set tiebreaker. Lam was able to come back in the third set, taking the victory and the final point for UCLA, 6-2, 6-7(4), 1-0(6).
The Arizona State University men's tennis team is back in action tomorrow afternoon, March 12, at the Whiteman Tennis Center when they take on No. 9 USC at 1:00 p.m.
No. 8 UCLA 7, No. 33 ASU 0
1. Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) def. Colombo/Kinsella (ASU), 8-1
2. Kohlloeffel/Gruendler (UCLA) def. Letcher/Beatty (ASU), 8-3
3. Ryan McBride/Hegarty (ASU) def. Lam/Dehaine (UCLA), 9-7
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. No. 14 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Christopher Biro (ASU), 6-4, 6-0
2. No. 49 Krzysztof Kwinta (UCLA) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU), 7-6(2), 6-1.
3. Chirs Lam (UCLA) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU), 6-2, 6-7(4), 1-0(6)
4. No. 95 Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Andy Colombo (ASU), 6-4, 3-2 (ret)
5. No. 66 Phillip Gruendler (UCLA) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Mike Beatty (ASU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1,6,2,4,5,3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive