Men's Tennis Defeats Arizona, 5-2
March 12, 2005
Tucson, Ariz. - The ninth-ranked USC men's tennis team took care of No. 42 Arizona, 5-2, on Friday, March 11, in Tucson, Ariz. The Trojans' two ranked singles players No. 24 Jamil Al-Agba and No. 54 Drew Hoskins win in straight sets to lead the way. Trojans.
With the win, USC improves to 7-5 overall, while Arizona falls to 7-5
The win is the Trojans' 15th consecutive over the Wildcats.
Troy started the match taking the doubles point from the second and third positions. USC's Hoskins and Adam Loucks defeated Arizona's Daniel Andrus and Bruno Alcala, 8-4, at court No. 2, in their first pairing of the season. Arizona bounced back with an 8-6 upset victory by Colin O' Grady and Roger Matalonga over No. 25 Jamil Al-Agba and Johan Berg at center court. The Trojans' Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van't Hof clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 victory over Tim Mullane and Claudio Christen at court No. 3.
Arizona fought back in singles play taking the first match and knotting the match at one. The Wildcats' No. 48 Matalonga defeated Berg, 6-1, 6-1, at court No.2 USC though immediately came back and took the lead with a 6-4, 6-2 victory by Hoskins over Andrus at court No. 3.
But, Arizona wouldn't go away. Paul Warkentin tied the match 2-2 with a 7-6, 6-0 victory on court four over Brian Wright.
The Trojans responded to the see-saw action, putting away the Wildcats for good by taking the last three matches. No. 24 Al-Agba took the center court match 6-2, 6-4 over O' Grady. Loucks followed suit for Troy with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Jason Labrosse at court No. 6. Van't Hof closed out the match for the Trojans with a 7-6, 7-4 victory on court No. 5 over Alcala.
The Trojans next take the court against Arizona State on Saturday, March 12, at 1 p.m. MST in Tempe, Ariz.
#9 USC 5, #42 Arizona 2
(1) #53 O' Grady/Matalonga (ARIZ) def. #25 Al-Agba/Berg (USC)- 8-6
(2) Hoskins/Loucks (USC) def. Andrus/Alcala (ARIZ) - 8-4
(3) Cooper/Van't Hof (USC) def. Mullane/Christen (ARIZ) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #24 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Colin O' Grady (ARIZ) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) #48 Roger Matalonga (ARIZ) def. Johan Berg (USC) - 6- 1, 6-1
(3) #54 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Daniel Andrus (ARIZ) - 6-4, 6-2
(4) Paul Warkentin (ARIZ) def. Brian Wright (USC) - 7-6, 6-0
(5) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Bruno Alcala (ARIZ) - 7-6, 7-4
(6) Adam Loucks (USC) def. #65 Jason Labrosse (ARIZ) - 6-4, 6-4 *
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 1, 6, 5
* Match-clinching victories.
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive