Women's Tennis Take Down No. 12 Washington, 6-1
March 12, 2005
SEATTLE - The 13th-ranked USC women's tennis defeated Pac-10 foe and 12th-ranked Washington, 6-1, on Saturday, March 12, in Seattle. The Trojans' Nicole Leimback, ranked 15th nationally, upset the Huskies' Dea Sumantri, ranked sixth nationally, 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 at center court.
With the win, the Trojans improve to 9-1 overall and 3-0 in Pac-10 play, while the Huskies fall to 10-4, 1-2.
The Women of Troy have now run their record to 12-1 against Washington in series history.
USC started off the match by taking two of the three doubles positions to claim the doubles point. The Trojans' Judy DeVera and Dianne Matias got things started with an 8-3 victory over Saskia Nauenberg and Allison Rainey at court No. 3. The Women of Troy's undefeated doubles combo Lindsey Nelson and Anca Anastasiu remained perfect at 10-0 with an 8-4 victory over Mugette Ahn and Tara Simpson. The Huskies' Dinka Hadzic and Dea Sumantri prevented the doubles sweep with an 8-4 victory over Leimbach and Carine Vermeulen at center court.
In singles, USC's Nelson, ranked 16th nationally, put the Trojans up 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory at court two over Hadzic, ranked 34th nationally, running her record to a spotless 10-0 on the season. Washington's Simpson trimmed the lead to one with a victory at court No. 5 over Vermeulen, 6-2, 6-3.
But that's as close as it got as the Women of Troy took the next four matches. Anastasiu won her third consecutive match and ran her record to 9-1 on the season with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over the Huskies' Ahn at court No. 3. USC's Devera took the next match, 6-3, 6-3, over Rainey at court No. 6. Matias kept the good play up for the Trojans with a 6-0, 7-5 victory at court four over Nauenberg. Leimbach's upset wrapped up the victory for USC.
The Women of Troy next host Texas on Wednesday, March 16, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#13 USC 6, #12 Washington 1
1) Hadzic/Sumantri (UW) def. Leimbach/Vermeulen (USC), 8-4
2) (56) Nelson/Anastasiu (USC) def. Ahn/Simpson (UW), 8-4
3) DeVera/Matias (USC) def. Nauenberg/Rainey (UW), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1) (15) Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. (6) Dea Sumantri (UW), 1-6, 7-5, 1-0(6)
2) (16) Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. (34) Dinka Hadzic (UW), 6-1, 6-3
3) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Mugette Ahn (UW), 6-3, 6-2
4) Dianne Matias (USC) def. Saskia Nauenberg (UW), 6-0, 7-5
5) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Carine Vermeulen (USC), 6-2, 6-3
6) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 6, 4, 1
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:30pm PTLive