Men's Tennis Nets 6-1 Win Over Pacific
March 20, 2005
PLEASANTON, Calif. - The Husky men's tennis team closed out its non-conference schedule with a 6-1 win over the Pacific Tigers tonight. The match went through a four-hour rain delay and a change in venue, but Washington (12-3) remained on track, taking doubles play and five of six singles matches for the victory.
Play began with doubles on the campus of UC Santa Cruz. Washington came out with a new doubles line-up, and found success winning the second and third matches to clinch the point. Senior Christoph Palmanshofer and Alex Vlaski scored an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles, while sophomore Mike Ricks and freshman Andy Kuharszky netted an 8-2 win in the No. 3 position. Pacific pulled out an 8-6 win at the No. 1 spot.
Rain forced the teams off the courts and they traveled to an indoor facility in Pleasanton, where the match resumed more than four hours after it began. However, Washington quickly dispatched the Tigers once singles play was underway.
Vlaski, ranked 26th, led the way at No. 1 singles with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Pacific's Arnar Sigurdsson. Fourth through sixth singles were easy UW wins. Sophomore Chris Floyd was a 6-2, 7-5 winner at No. 4, Kuharszky picked up a 6-2, 6-2 win over Austin Kakar at No. 5, and senior Peter Scharler blanked Alan Kelly, 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 6 spot. Scharler's 12-2 dual record is the best on the team.
Sophomore Daniel Chu fought off Vladimir Zdravkovic in a pair of tight sets at third singles, 7-5, 7-6 (8). Pacific's only point came via Jorgen Vestli, who prevailed in a third-set super-tiebreak over Palmanshofer at No. 2 singles.
Up next for the men is the Pac-10 opener against No. 9 Stanford this coming Friday, March 25 at 2 p.m. If weather permits, the match will be held outdoors at the Bill Quillian Stadium.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. Pacific
3/20/05 - Pleasonton, Calif.
No. 17 Washington 6, No. 73 Pacific 1
1. Sigurdsson/Zdravkovic (PAC) def. Chu/Slovic (UW), 8-6
2. Palmanshofer/Vlaski (UW) def. Otte/Vestli (PAC), 8-3
3. Kuharszky/Ricks (UW) def. Kelly/Price (PAC), 8-2
1. (26) Alex Vlaski (UW) def. Arnar Sigurdsson (PAC), 6-3, 6-2
2. Jorgen Vestli (PAC) def. (62) Christoph Palmanshofer (UW), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Daniel Chu (UW) def. Vladimir Zdravkovic (PAC), 7-5, 7-6 (8)
4. Chris Floyd (UW) def. Nicolas Otte (PAC), 6-2, 7-5
5. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Austin Kakar (PAC), 6-2, 6-2
6. Peter Scharler (UW) def. Alan Kelly (PAC), 6-0, 6-0
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive