Women's Tennis Blanks Portland 7-0
March 24, 2005
SEATTLE- Washington women's tennis made quick work of Northwest rival Portland, as the 16th-ranked Huskies blanked the Pilots, 7-0, at Bill Quillian Stadium on the UW campus, Thursday afternoon. Washington won the doubles point and all six singles matches in straight sets to improve its overall record to 12-5. Portland dropped to 5-10. The Huskies improved their all-time record over Portland to 15-0.
Washington found itself leading 1-0 after sweeping the three doubles matches. Senior Dea Sumantri and junior Dinka Hadzic earned an 8-2 victory over Cristin Sammis and Sanja Indic at No. 1 doubles. Freshman Allison Rainey and sophomore Saskia Nauenberg followed suit, with an 8-4 win over Alyson Tyson and Lindsey Griffin. On the No. 3 doubles court, sophomore Monika Kolbovic and freshman Tara Simpson, playing together for just the second time this season, defeated the Portland duo of Jaclyn Soltysik and Christie Feyen, 8-4.
Sumantri set the tone for the Huskies when singles play began. Ranked ninth in the nation, the Husky All-American roared past Indic in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0 to pick up her team-leading 24th win of the season. Not long after play finished on Court No. 1, 43rd-ranked Hadzic finished off Cristin, 6-1, 6-0, on court two. Nauenberg, Simpson, and Rainey - all playing up one spot with senior Mugette Ahn out due to injury - also won in straight sets. Junior Stephanie Svanfeldt earned a straight-set victory at No. 6 singles.
The Huskies, having won two of their last three matches, close out their longest homestand of the season hosting No. 40 Sacramento State Friday, April 1, at 1:30 p.m. and No. 21 Tulane, Saturday, April 2, at noon.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Portland
3/24/05 - Bill Quillian Stadium - Seattle, Wash.
No. 16 Washington 7, Portland 0
1) Hadzic/Sumantri (UW) def. Sammis/Indic (UP), 8-2
2) Rainey/Nauenberg (UW) def. Tyson/Griffin (UP), 8-4
3) Kolbovic/Simpson (UW) def. Soltysik/Feyen (UP), 8-4
1) (9) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Sanja Indic (UP), 6-0, 6-0
2) (43) Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Cristin Sammis (UP), 6-1, 6-0
3) Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Jaclyn Soltysik (UP), 6-4, 6-3
4) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Lindsey Griffin (UP), 6-1, 6-1
5) Allison Rainey (UW) def. Christie Feyen (UP), 6-2, 6-0
6) Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW) def. Adele Rockett (UP), 6-3, 6-1
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
Tue 5/22 | 6:00pm PTLive