Men's Tennis Defeats Arizona State, 6-1
March 25, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-ranked USC men's tennis team avenged its early season loss with a 6-1 victory over No. 38 Arizona State on Friday, March 25, at Marks Stadium. The Trojans' two ranked singles players No. 28 Jamil Al-Agba and No. 62 Drew Hoskins win in straight sets to lead the way in the Pac-10 opener.
With the win, USC improves to 8-8 overall and 1-0 in conference play, while Arizona State falls to 6-8, 0-1.
The Trojans have won five of the last six matches against the Devils.Troy started the match taking the doubles point from the first and second positions. USC's Hoskins and Adam Loucks defeated Christopher Biro and Jonathan Kinsella, 8-4 at court one. The Trojans' doubles combo of Al-Agba and Johan Berg, ranked 36th nationally, secured the doubles point with an 8-6 victory at court No. 2.
USC took control of singles play, winning five of the six matches. Loucks started things off winning his eighth out of his previous nine matches, 6-1, 6-2, over the Devils' Mike Beatty at court No. 5. ASU's Nick Hegarty though prevented the singles sweep with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Jarryd Cooper at court No. 6. Troy's Berg had the only upset of the day defeating 96th-ranked Biro, 6-1, 6-3, at court No. 3. Next, 62nd-ranked Hoskins clinched the match for USC with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Kinsella at court two. Kaes Van't Hof followed with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Ryan McBride at court No. 4. 28th-ranked Al-Agba closed out the match with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Clint Letcher at center court.
'We needed this victory today,' said Head coach Peter Smith, ' It was a great way to start off but we have to finish off the weekend tomorrow.'The Trojans next take the court against Arizona on Saturday, March 25, at 1 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#9 USC 6, #38 Arizona State 1
(1) Hoskins/Loucks (USC) def. Biro/Kinsella (ASU)- 8-6
(2) #36 Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. Beatty/Letcher (ASU) - 8-6
(3) Hegarty/McBride (ASU) def. Cooper/Van't Hof (USC) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #28 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Clint Letcher (ASU) - 6-1, 7-5
(2) #62 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 6- 0, 6-4 *
(3) Johan Berg (USC) def. #96 Christopher Biro (ASU) - 6-1, 6-3
(4) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Ryan McBride (ASU) - 6-4, 7-5
(5) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Mike Beatty (ASU) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Jarryd Cooper (USC) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 2, 4, 1
* Match-clinching victories.
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive