Men's Tennis Falls to No. 9 USC, 6-1
March 25, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The Arizona State University men's tennis team (6-8), who upset Southern California (8-8) two weeks ago, could not gain the season sweep as the ninth-ranked Trojans defeated the Sun Devils, 6-1, Friday at the Marks Tennis Stadium in Los Angeles.
USC gained the early edge by winning two of the three doubles matches for the 1-0 lead. ASU's lone doubles win occurred on court #3 where Nick Hegarty and Ryan McBride defeated SC's Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van't Hof, 8-4.
In singles action, the Trojans pulled away by winning two quick matches in straight sets. Drew Hoskins took care of Jonathan Kinsella on court #2 6-0, 6-4, while Adam Loucks defeated Mike Beatty, 6-1, 6-2. ASU gained its sole point on court #6 where Hegarty easily defeated Cooper in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1.
Courts #3 and #4 soon followed for USC to take a commanding 5-1 lead. Berg defeated Christopher Biro to seal the dual with a 6-1, 6-2 victory. The final point for SC came on the #1 court when Jamil Al-Agba won in a second set tiebreaker over Clint Letcher, 6-1, 7-6.
Up next, ASU will head over to Westwood to take on fifth-ranked UCLA on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. (PT).
1. Hoskins/Loucks (USC) def. Biro/Kinsella (ASU) - 8-4
2. (36) Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. Beatty/Letcher (ASU) - 8-6
3. Hegarty/McBride (ASU) def. Cooper/Vanthof (USC) - 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Clint Letcher (ASU) - 6-1, 7-6
2. Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 6-0, 6-4
3. Johan Berg (USC) def. Christopher Biro (ASU) - 6-1, 6-3
4. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Ryan McBride (ASU) - 6-4, 7-5
5. Adam Loucks (USC) def. Mike Beatty (ASU) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Jarryd Cooper (USC) - 6-2, 6-1Order of finish: 2, 5, 6, 3, 4, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 8/24 | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/25 | 8:00pm PTLive