No. 10 Stanford Upset By No. 19 Washington, 5-2
March 25, 2005
Seattle, Wash. - No. 10 ranked Stanford dropped its Pac-10 opener to No. 19 Washington in Seattle on Friday afternoon, 5-2. The Cardinal dropped all three doubles matches for the first time this season, and the Huskies took four of the six singles matches to clinch the win. Stanford falls to 8-6 and 0-1 in Pac-10 play, while Washington improves to 13-3 and 1-0 in conference action.
Washington won the doubles point to start the match by taking all three contests, including a major upset at the No. 1 doubles position where Daniel Chu and Alex Slovic handed the No. 3 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery an 8-2 defeat. It was the first dual match loss for the Cardinal pairing so far this season. Christoph Palmanshofer and Alex Vlaski wrapped up the doubles point for the Huskies at the No. 2 spot, defeating senior Phil Sheng and freshman Phil Kao 8-5. At the No. 3 position, sophomores James Wan and Eric McKean fell to Mike Ricks and Andy Kuharszky 8-6.
The Cardinal evened the match at one in singles play with Wan defeating Chris Floyd in straight sets at the No. 4 singles position 6-0, 6-1. Washington reclaimed the lead with Slovic defeating Sheng at the No. 3 spot 6-3, 6-4, and Palmanshofer defeating Corkery at the No. 2 spot 7-5, 6-2. The Huskies clinched the win at the No. 5 position, with McKean falling to Kuharszky in a three-set battle, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Peter Scharler closed out the Washington singles wins with a 6-1, 6-7, 6-4 win over Kao at the No. 6 position.
Warburg posted the other Cardinal victory in singles play, splitting two sets with Vlaski, 6-4, 3-6 before the Husky player retired due to cramping with the Cardinal senior leading the tiebreaker 7-2.
The road weary Stanford squad wraps up its road trip with a dual match at Oregon on Saturday afternoon.
No. 19 Washington - 5
No. 10 Stanford - 2
Doubles (Washington wins doubles point)
1. Chu/Slovic (Washington) def. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) - 8-2
2. Vlaski/Palmanshofer (Washington) def. Kao/Sheng (Stanford) - 8-5
3. Kuharszky/Ricks (Washington) def. McKean/Wan (Stanford) - 8-6
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #31 Alex Vlaski (Washington) - 6-4, 3-6, ret.
2. #75 Christoph Palmanshofer (Washington) def. #33 KC Corkery (Stanford) - 7-5, 6-2
3. #34 Alex Slovic (Washington) def. #91 Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-1
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Chris Floyd (Washington) - 6-0, 6-1
5. Andy Kuharszky (Washington) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Peter Scharler (Washington) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-1, 6-7, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 3:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 5:30pm PTLive