Men's Tennis Takes Care Of Arizona, 6-1
March 26, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-ranked USC men's tennis team completed its season sweep of Arizona with a 6-1 victory on Saturday, March 26, at Marks Stadium. USC won the doubles point and the top five singles positions to secure the victory.
With the win, USC improves to 9-8 overall and 2-0 in conference play, while Arizona falls to 7-8, 0-2.
The Trojans have now won 16 straight matches over the Wildcats.
The match started off with a hard-fought doubles battle with USC taking two of the three positions to claim the point. Troy's Johan Berg and Jamil Al-Agba defeated Paul Warkentin and Daniel Andrus, 8-6 at court No. 2. Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van't Hof won a close 9-7 match over Bruno Alcala and Claudio Christen at court No. 3 to pick up the doubles point.
USC took control of singles play, winning five of the six matches. Hoskins picked up the fourth victory after 47th-ranked Roger Matalonga went down with an injury at court two. The Trojans' Van't Hof picked up the next match, 6-3, 6-4, at court No. 4 over Alcala. Loucks then clinched the match for Troy defeating Jason Labrosse, 6-4, 6-2, at court No. 5 also picking up his ninth victory out his previous ten matches. Arizona claimed its only point with Christen's 6-3, 6-3 victory over Whit Livingston at court six. USC's Johan Berg defeated Warkentin, 6-2, 6-3 at court No. 3. Jamil Al-Agba closed out the match for USC after Colin O' Grady surrendered the last point in a super tie-breaker at center court.
'We're 2-0 in the Pac-10 now,' said Head coach Peter Smith, ' That's two in a row for us. We need to keep it going. We have to know it and build on it.'
The Trojans next take the court against Texas A&M on Tuesday, March 29, at 1 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#9 USC 6, #45 Arizona 1
(1) #15 Matalonga/O' Grady (Ariz) def. Hoskins/Loucks (USC)- 8-4
(2) #36 Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. Andrus/Warkentin (Ariz) - 8-6
(3) Cooper/Van't Hof (USC) def. Alcala/Labrosse (Ariz) - 9-7
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #28 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Colin O' Grady (Ariz) - 3-6, 7-6, 9-3retired
(2) #62 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. #47 Roger Matalonga (Ariz) - 4-1, retired
(3) Johan Berg (USC) def. Paul Warkentin (Ariz) - 6-2, 6-3
(4) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Bruno Alcala (Ariz) - 6-3, 6-4
(5) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Jason Labrosse (Ariz) - 6-4, 6-2 *
(6) Claudio Christen (Ariz) def. Whit Livingston (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5, 6, 3, 1
* Match-clinching victories.
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive