No. 10 Stanford Tops Oregon, 6-1
March 26, 2005
Eugene, Ore. - No. 10 ranked Stanford snapped a two-match losing streak with a 6-1 defeat of Oregon in Eugene on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinal won the doubles point and cruised to the victory by taking five of six singles matches against the Ducks. Stanford improves to 9-6 and 1-1 in Pac-10 play with the win.
After dropping all three doubles matches for the first time this season against Washington on Friday, the Cardinal rebounded to take two of three matches against Oregon to claim the doubles point. The No. 3 ranked duo of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery registered an 8-6 victory over Oregon's Vlad Pino and Arron Spencer at the No. 1 doubles position to give Stanford an early lead. Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost evened the score at the No. 2 spot, edging senior Phil Sheng and freshman Phil Kao 9-8. Sophomores James Wan and Eric McKean clinched the doubles point for the Cardinal at the No. 3 position with a narrow 9-8 victory over Sven Swinnen and Markus Schiller.
Warburg, the nation's No. 2 ranked player, notched a straight set win over No. 22 ranked Swinnen 6-2, 6-3, and No. 33 ranked KC Corkery defeated Bieri at the No. 2 singles spot 6-2, 6-1 to begin singles play. Wan rolled to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Spencer at the No. 4 position, and Kao also claimed a victory in straight sets, defeating Chad Wilson 6-2, 6-2. McKean was stretched into three sets before finishing off Pino at the No. 5 spot, 7-6, 3-6, 1-0 (3).
Oregon registered its only point at the No. 3 position, where Kost defeated No. 91 ranked Sheng in three sets 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (5).
The Cardinal returns to The Farm for a dual match against No. 2 ranked Illinois on Tuesday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center.
Stanford - 6
Oregon - 1
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. Pino/Spencer (Oregon) - 8-6
2. Bieri/Kost (Oregon) def. Kao/Sheng (Stanford) - 9-8
3. McKean/Wan (Stanford) def. Swinnen/Schiller (Oregon) - 9-8
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #22 Sven Swinnen (Oregon) - 6-2, 6-3
2. #33 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Thomas Bieri (Oregon) - 6-2, 6-1
3. Manuel Kost (Oregon) def. #91 Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (5)
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Arron Spencer (Oregon) - 6-0, 6-1
5. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Vlad Pino (Oregon) - 7-6, 3-6, 1-0 (3)
6. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Chad Wilson (Oregon) - 6-2, 6-2
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive