No. 2 Illinois Squeaks By Stanford, 4-3
March 29, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - No. 2 ranked Illinois escaped the Taube Tennis Center with a 4-3 win over No. 16 Stanford on Tuesday afternoon. The Illini won the doubles point, and four of the six singles matches went to three sets as Illinois handed the Cardinal its first home defeat of the season. Stanford drops to 9-7 overall with the loss, while the Illini improve to 13-2.
The No. 9 ranked doubles tandem of GD Jones and Ryler DeHeart got the match off to a good start for the Illini, edging the No. 3 ranked team of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery at the No. 1 doubles position, 8-6. It was just the second dual match loss for the Cardinal pairing so far this season. Stanford got a doubles victory at the No. 3 spot, as sophomores James Wan and Eric McKean topped Chris Martin and Ruben Gonzales 8-4. Pramod Dabir and Kevin Anderson clinched the doubles point for Illinois at the No. 2 position, handing senior Phil Sheng and freshman Phil Kao an 8-1 defeat.
Warburg exacted some revenge at the No. 1 singles position, handing Jones a straight set defeat to begin singles play, 6-4, 6-0. Corkery pulled off an upset at the No. 2 spot, knocking off No. 6 ranked DeHeart in three sets 5-7, 7-5, 6-2. McKean posted the third Cardinal singles win, coming from behind to defeat Dabir at the No. 5 position 1-6, 7-6, 6-2.
Gonzales recorded the first singles point for the Illini, dispatching Kao at the No. 6 spot 6-4, 6-2. Anderson held off a rally from Wan at the No. 3 position to post a three-set win 6-2, 4-6, 6-4, and Illinois sealed the victory at the No. 4 spot, where Martin edged Sheng in three sets 4-6, 7-6, 6-3.
The Cardinal continues Pac-10 play this weekend, traveling to take on Arizona State on Friday and Arizona on Saturday.
Illinois - 4
Stanford - 3
Doubles (Illinois wins doubles point)
1. #9 Jones/DeHeart (Illinois) def. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) - 8-6
2. Dabir/Anderson (Illinois) def. Kao/Sheng (Stanford) - 8-1
3. McKean/Wan (Stanford) def. Martin/Gonzales (Illinois) - 8-4
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #27 GD Jones (Illinois) - 6-4, 6-0
2. #33 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. #6 Ryler DeHeart (Illinois) - 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
3. #24 Kevin Anderson (Illinois) def. James Wan (Stanford) - 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Chris Martin (Illinois) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 4-6, 7-6, 6-3
5. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Pramod Dabir (Illinois) - 1-6, 7-6, 6-2
6. Ruben Gonzales (Illinois) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-4, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive