No. 6 UCLA Upends No. 13 Men's Tennis, 5-0
April 1, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The 13th-ranked Washington men's tennis team was overpowered today by the sixth-ranked Bruins of UCLA, losing 5-0 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Huskies drop to 2-1 in Pac-10 play and 14-4 overall. The match was played under a tournament format, where play was suspended once one team had clinched. The Bruins (18-2, 3-0 Pac-10) won the doubles point and four singles matches to secure the win.
UCLA took control early with a pair of doubles wins. Chris Lam and Luben Pampoulov knocked off Sophomore Mike Ricks and freshman Andy Kuharszky, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles in the first match. Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta then upended sophomores Daniel Chu and Alex Slovic at No. 1 doubles, 8-6, to clinch the point. The Husky duo of seniors Alex Vlaski and Christoph Palmanshofer were leading 6-5 at No. 2 when UCLA clinched.
Singles matches were close early on, but UCLA--which boasts five ranked singles players--displayed its depth, winning five first sets out of the six matches. No. 74 Francis downed senior Peter Scharler, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 5 singles, and 10th-ranked Benjamin Kohlloeffel knocked off No. 31 Vlaski, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles to push the Bruins out to a 3-0 advantage. 64th-ranked Philipp Gruendler clinched the win at sixth singles with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Kuharszky. Moments later, No. 7 Pampoulov took out 75th-ranked Palmanshofer, 6-3, 6-4, to end the day's action.
At third singles, 34th-ranked Slovic had taken the first set and led 3-2 in the second over 50th-ranked Kwinta when play was suspended. UCLA's Lam and UW's Chu were also still on court, with Lam having won the first set, 7-5, but Chu leading 3-1 in the second when the match was completed.
The loss snapped a four match winning streak for the Huskies and was the first time this season Washington failed to score a point.
The Huskies remain in Los Angeles to face the 12th-ranked USC Trojans tomorrow, April 2, for a 1:30 p.m. conference match.
Washington Men's Tennis vs. UCLA
4/1/05 - Los Angeles Tennis Center - Los Angeles, Calif.
No. 6 UCLA 5, No. 13 Washington 0
1) Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) def. Chu/Slovic (UW), 8-6
2) Vlaski/Palmanshofer (UW) vs. Kohlloeffel/Gruendler (UCLA), 6-5 DNF
3) Lam/Pampoulov (UCLA) def. Kuharszky/Ricks (UW), 8-3
1) (10) Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. (31) Alex Vlaski (UW), 6-1, 6-1
2) (7) Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) def. (75) Christoph Palmanshofer (UW), 6-3, 6-4
3) (34) Alex Slovic (UW) vs. (50) Kris Kwinta (UCLA), 6-4, 3-2 DNF
4) Daniel Chu (UW) vs. Chris Lam (UCLA), 5-7, 3-1 DNF
5) (74) Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Peter Scharler (UW), 6-2, 6-1
6) (64) Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW), 6-3, 6-3
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive