Stanford Tops Arizona State, 6-1
April 1, 2005
Tempe, Ariz. - The No. 16 ranked Stanford men's tennis team swept all three doubles matches and took five of six matches in singles play to post a convincing 6-1 win over Arizona State in Tempe on Friday afternoon. The Cardinal improves to 10-7 and 2-1 in Pac-10 play with the victory, while the Sun Devils drop to 6-10 and 0-3 in conference contests.
The Cardinal began the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches to win the doubles point. The No. 3 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery posted an 8-5 win over Andy Colombo and Mike Beatty at the No. 1 doubles position to start the day. Sophomores Eric McKean and James Wan wrapped up the doubles point at the No. 3 spot, handing Ryan McBride and Nick Hegarty an 8-5 defeat. Senior Phil Sheng and junior Jon Wong, playing as a doubles tandem for the first time this season, closed out the sweep at the No. 2 position with a 9-7 decision over Clint Letcher and Jonathan Kinsella.
Stanford continued to roll in singles play, taking five of six matches to claim the victory. Corkery made quick work of Kinsella at the No. 2 position with a 6-4, 6-2 win, and freshman Phil Kao got back on the winning track with a straight set victory over Mike Beatty at the No. 6 spot 6-1, 6-2. Warburg, the No. 2 ranked player in the nation, clinched the Cardinal win at the No. 1 position with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Letcher. Wan was victorious at the No. 3 spot, defeating Christopher Biro 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (3), and McKean knocked off Hegarty in three sets at the No. 5 position to cap off the Cardinal win 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (5).
The Sun Devils posted their only point of the match at the No. 4 singles position, where McBride defeated No. 91 ranked Sheng in straight sets 6-3, 6-1.
The Cardinal continues Pac-10 play on Saturday, traveling to Tucson to take on Arizona.
Stanford - 6
Arizona State - 1
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. Colombo/Beatty (ASU) - 8-5
2. Sheng/Wong (Stanford) def. Letcher/Kinsella (ASU) - 9-7
3. McKean/Wan (Stanford) def. McBride/Hegarty (ASU) - 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Clinton Letcher (ASU) - 6-3, 6-2
2. #33 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 6-4, 6-2
3. James Wan (Stanford) def. Christopher Biro (ASU) - 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (3)
4. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. #91 Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-1
5. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU) - 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
6. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Mike Beatty (ASU) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6, 1, 3, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive