The Women of Troy Pluck the Oregon Ducks, 5-2
April 1, 2005
Eugene, Ore. - The fourth-ranked USC women's tennis team made a late rally in singles play to beat No. 22 Oregon on Friday, April 1, in Eugene, Ore. The top three singles player for USC rally back to win after dropping the first set in each of their matches.
With the win, USC improves to 15-1 overall and 5-0 in conference play, while Oregon falls to 13-5, 2-4.
The Women of Troy are now 9-0 all time against the Ducks.
The match started off in the Duck's favor as they claimed the doubles point from the first and third positions. It was only the fourth time all season the Trojans had dropped the doubles point. Carine Vermeulen and Lindsey Nelson prevented the sweep at court two with an 8-4 victory over Anna Powaska and Anna Leksinska.
Singles looked to be headed in the same direction as doubles with Oregon taking the first set in four of the six positions, but rallied back to control the match. Dianne Matias tied the score at 1-1 with her 6-0, 6-0 victory over Jaime Marshall at court No. 4. Carine Vermeulen then put the Trojans up 2-1 after defeating Powaska on court five, 6-2, 6-1. Ester Bak tied the match at two-a-piece with her 6-1, 6-3 victory over the Women of Troy's Taylynn Snyder at court No. 6.
Then came the rallies. Nicole Leimbach, Lindsey Nelson and Anca Anastasiu all came back to win their matches after dropping their first set. Leimbach, ranked 11th nationally, took her match, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, at center court over Daria Panova. Nelson, ranked 10th nationally, managed to remain perfect at 16-0 in singles play with her 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory at court No. 2. Anastasiu then closed out the match with her own rally defeating Davina Mendiburu, 5-7, 6-2, 6-1, at court three.
The Trojans next take the court Friday, April 8, at 1:30 p.m. against Stanford at Marks Stadium.
#4 USC 5, #22 Oregon 2
1. #43 Panova/Dieskova (UO) def. Matias/Leimbach (USC) 8-6
2. Vermeulen/Nelson (USC) def. Powaska/Leksinska (UO) 8-4
3. Bak/Mendiburu (UO) def. Anastasiu/Snyder (USC) 8-5
1. #11 Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. Daria Panova (UO) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. #10 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. #73 Dominika Dieskova (UO) 2-6,6-1, 6-2
3. Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Davina Mendiburu (UO) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
4. Diane Matias (USC) def. Jamie Marshall (UO) 6-0, 6-0
5. Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Anna Powaska (UO) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ester Bak (UO) def. Taylynn Snyder (USC) 6-1, 6-3
TOMORROW | 7:30pm PTLive
Thu 2/22 | 6:00pm PTLive