USC Falls Just Short Against Washington, 4-3
April 2, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The 12th-ranked USC men's tennis team rallied back from a large deficit but fell just short against No. 13 Washington on Saturday, April 2, at Marks Stadium. Senior Drew Hoskins, ranked 62nd nationally, won his fifth consecutive match, rallying back to take down 75th-ranked Christopher Palmanshofer, 4-6, 6-2, 7-6, at court two.
With the loss, USC falls to 11-9 overall and 3-1 in Pac-10 play, while Washington improves to 15-4, 3-1.
Doubles started off in Washington's favor as they took the first two positions to claim the doubles point. USC freshmen Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van't Hof prevented the doubles sweep with their fourth consecutive victory, 8-2, over Andy Kuharszky and Mike Ricks at court No. 3.
Singles started off the same way for Washington as they took the first set in five of the six matches. After 34th-ranked Alex Slovic put Washington ahead 2-0 with his 6-2, 7-5 victory over Johan Berg, it appeared as if the Huskies were going to win it in a landslide. The Trojans had other plans though.
Van't Hof put Troy on the board as had a rally of his own to win, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3, over Daniel Chu on court four. Adam Loucks knotted the match at two with his rally victory, 5-7, 7-5, 6-0, at court No. 5 over Peter Scharler.
Washington then took the lead again with Kuharszky's 7-6, 6-7, 6-3 victory over Whit Livingston at court six. USC though tied it up again with Hoskins triumph on court No.2.
The match came down to center court as 31st-ranked Alex Vlaski was able to hold off Jamil Al-Agba, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2 to clinch it for Washington.
'Congrats goes out to Washington,' said Head coach Peter Smith, 'They played hard and deserved it. We fought and gave ourselves a chance but Washington earned it.'
The Trojans next take the court up in Palo Alto, Calif. When they face Stanford on Friday, April 8, at 1:30 p.m.
#13 Washington 4, #12 USC 3
(1) Chu/Slovic (Wash) def. #36 Al-Agba/Berg (USC)- 8-4
(2) Palmanshofer/Vlaski (Wash) def. Hoskins/Loucks (USC) - 8-6
(3) Cooper/Van't Hof (USC) def. Kuharszky/Scharler (Wash) - 8-2
Washington wins doubles point.
(1) #31 Alex Vlaski (Wash) def. #28 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-7, 6-3, 6-2*
(2) #62 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. #75 Christopher Palmanshofer (Wash) - 4-6,6-2, 7-6(10-8)
(3) #34 Alex Slovic (Wash) def. Johan Berg (USC) - 6-2, 7-5
(4) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Daniel Chu (Wash) - 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
(5) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Peter Scharler (Wash) - 5-7, 7-5, 6-0
(6) Andy Kuharszky (Wash) def. Whit Livingston (USC) - 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,4, 5, 6, 2, 1*
* Match-clinching victories.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive