No. 16 Stanford Defeats No. 47 Arizona, 4-3
April 2, 2005
Tucson, Ariz. - The No. 16 ranked Stanford men's tennis team dropped the doubles point but rebounded to win four singles matches, handing No. 47 Arizona a 4-3 defeat in Tucson on Saturday. The Cardinal improves to 11-7 and 3-1 in Pac-10 play, while the Wildcats fall to 8-9 and 1-3 in conference action.
The Wildcats took two of three doubles matches to claim the doubles point to begin the contest. The No. 3 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery posted their second win of the season over the No. 15 ranked duo of Roger Matalonga and Colin O'Grady, recording an 8-5 victory at the No. 1 doubles position. Senior Phil Sheng and junior Jon Wong fell to Daniel Andrus and Paul Warkentin at the No. 2 doubles spot, 8-5, while Bruno Alcala and Claudio Christen recorded an 8-5 win over sophomores Eric McKean and James Wan at the No. 3 position to wrap up the point for Arizona.
The Cardinal stormed back to post wins at the top four positions in singles play. Corkery posted an impressive victory over No. 47 ranked Matalonga 6-4, 6-2, and Warburg dispatched O'Grady in straight sets at the No. 1 singles spot 6-4, 6-4. Sheng registered a 7-6, 6-1 win over Andrus at the No. 4 singles position, and Wan clinched the Cardinal victory with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Warkentin at the No. 3 spot.
The Wildcats earned points at the No. 5 and No. 6 singles positions. McKean fell in a three set battle to Alcala at the No. 5 spot 7-6, 3-6, 6-3, and freshman Phil Kao was defeated at the No. 6 position by Jason Labrosse 6-1, 7-6.
The Cardinal returns to The Farm next weekend, beginning the Stanford Challenge with Pac-10 matches against USC and UCLA on Friday and Saturday.
No. 16 Stanford - 4
No. 47 Arizona - 3
Doubles (Arizona wins doubles point)
1. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. #15 Matalonga/O'Grady (Arizona) - 8-5
2. Andrus/Warkentin (Arizona) def. Sheng/Wong (Stanford) - 8-5
3. Alcala/Christen (Arizona) def. Wan/McKean (Stanford) - 8-5
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Colin O'Grady (Arizona) - 6-4, 6-4
2. #33 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. #47 Roger Matalonga (Arizona) - 6-4, 6-2
3. James Wan (Stanford) def. Paul Warkentin (Arizona) - 7-5, 6-3
4. #91 Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Daniel Andrus (Arizona) - 7-6, 6-1
5. Bruno Alcala (Arizona) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
6. Jason Labrosse (Arizona) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-1, 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 6, 3, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:30pm PTLive