Wet Weather Halts Intense Dual Match Against USC
April 8, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - Wet weather stopped the Stanford men's tennis match during singles play at the Taube Tennis Center on Friday afternoon. The squads skipped the doubles matches and began the singles contests, with each match completing one set before rain halted play. The match is scheduled to conclude on Sunday at 12:00 pm.
In a dead even start to the dual match, each team was ahead in three matches before rain stopped play. Junior KC Corkery led at the No. 2 singles position 6-4, 3-2 before the stoppage, while Eric McKean led Brian Wright at the No. 5 singles spot 7-5, 1-0. Freshman Phil Kao led Adam Loucks at the No. 6 position 7-6, 1-1.
Senior Sam Warburg dropped the first set to Jamil Al-Agba 6-3, and was down in the second set at the No. 1 singles spot, 4-3. Senior Phil Sheng lost the first set to Kaes Van't Hof 6-4, but led the second set by a 4-2 score at the No. 4 position. At the No. 3 spot, sophomore James Wan fell to Johan Berg in the first set, 6-2, but rebounded to take a 4-1 lead in the second set before the match was postponed.
The Cardinal and the Trojans will conclude the Pac-10 dual match on Sunday at 12:00 pm. Stanford hosts No. 6 ranked UCLA at the Taube Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
No doubles matches played
1. Jamil Al-Agba (USC) leads Sam Warburg (Stanford) - 6-3, 4-3
2. KC Corkery (Stanford) leads Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-4, 3-2
3. Johan Berg (USC) leads James Wan (Stanford) - 6-2, 1-4
4. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) leads Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-4, 2-4
5. Eric McKean (Stanford) leads Brian Wright (USC) - 7-5, 1-0
6. Phil Kao (Stanford) leads Adam Loucks (USC) - 7-6, 1-1