Women's Tennis Earns 4-3 Road Win At Arizona
April 8, 2005
TUCSON, Ariz. - A 4-3 match finally went in favor of Washington's women's tennis team today, as they knocked off the Arizona Wildcats by taking the third through sixth singles matches at the Robson Tennis Center. The 21st-ranked Huskies (13-7, 2-3 Pac-10) had lost three of their past four, all by 4-3 margins, before pulling out the win this afternoon.
The youth of the Husky women made the difference against the Wildcats (6-11, 0-6 Pac-10). Sophomore Saskia Nauenberg had the day's easiest win, 6-3, 6-0 over Kelly Perry at fourth singles. Freshman Tara Simpson ran her winning streak to four, with a crucial 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles over Kasia Jakowlew. Freshman Allison Rainey also had a strong performance in the sixth singles slot, beating Arizona's Camelia Todorova, 6-2, 6-4. Simpson and Rainey both improve to 14-6 in dual play while Nauenberg now leads the team with a 15-5 mark.
Senior Mugette Ahn benefited with a win at No. 3 singles when Arizona's Stephanie Balzert was forced to withdraw.
Arizona scored a pair of upsets at the top two singles positions. 15th-ranked senior Dea Sumantri was knocked off by 40th-ranked Dianne Hollands, 6-2, 6-3 at the top singles spot. No. 87 Maja Mlakar was a 6-4, 7-6 (5) winner over Husky junior Dinka Hadzic, ranked 54th, at No. 2 singles.
Ahn and Nauenberg earned their first doubles win of the year together at No. 2 doubles, defeating Jakowlew and Jessie Rochefort, 8-6. However, Arizona captured the first and third doubles positions to send the Huskies to their 12th doubles point loss of the year.
The women will look to climb back to the .500 mark in Pac-10 play tomorrow, when they face the 27th-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils at 12 p.m. in Tempe.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Arizona
4/8/05 - Robson Tennis Center - Tucson, Ariz.
No. 21 Washington 4, No. 50 Arizona 3
1. (32) Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Sumantri/Hadzic (UW) 8-0
2. Ahn/Nauenberg (UW) def. Jakowlew/Rochefort (UA) 8-6
3. Perry/Todorova (UA) def. Kolbovic/Simpson (UW) 8-5
1. (40) Dianne Hollands (UA) def. (15) Dea Sumantri (UW) 6-2, 6-3
2. (87) Maja Mlakar (UA) def. (54) Dinka Hadzic 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Mugette Ahn (UW) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) withdrew
4. Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Kelly Perry (UA) 6-3, 6-0
5. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6. Allison Rainey (UW) Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-2, 6-4
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 2:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 4:00pm PTLive