Stanford Men's Tennis Edged By No. 6 UCLA, 4-3
April 9, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The No. 18 ranked Stanford men's tennis team claimed wins at the top three singles positions, but couldn't hold on as No. 6 UCLA came back to post a 4-3 win at the Taube Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinal falls to 11-8 and 3-2 in Pac-10 play, while the Bruins improve to 20-3 and 5-1 in conference contests.
UCLA swept all three doubles matches to begin the dual match. The No. 3 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery were upset at the No. 1 doubles position by the No. 59 ranked duo of Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta, 8-6. The Bruins clinched the doubles point at the No. 2 spot, with the No. 42 ranked pairing of Benjamin Kohlloeffel and Philipp Gruendler topping senior Phil Sheng and junior Jon Wong, 8-5. The tandem of sophomores Eric McKean and James Wan led their match against Luben Pampoulov and Chris Lam by a 7-3 score, but couldn't stop a late comeback by the Bruin duo in a 9-7 loss to close out the UCLA sweep.
The Cardinal rebounded in singles play, posting wins at the top three singles positions. Warburg, the No. 2 ranked player in the nation, knocked off No. 7 ranked Pampoulov in straight sets at the No. 1 singles position, 6-0, 6-2. No. 18 ranked Corkery continued his recent hot streak, posting a 7-6, 6-7, 6-3 win over the No. 8 ranked Kohlloeffel at the No. 2 spot. Wan's match at the No. 3 position also went three sets, with the sophomore prevailing over No. 48 ranked Kwinta 6-1, 2-6, 6-4.
The Bruins were able to post wins at the bottom three singles spots to clinch the dual match victory. Sheng stretched Lam to three sets at the No. 4 position before falling 7-5, 3-6, 3-6. No. 73 ranked Francis handed McKean a 6-1, 6-2 defeat at the No. 5 spot, and No. 66 ranked Gruendler posted a 6-2, 0-6, 7-5 victory over freshman Phil Kao at the No. 6 position to close out the Bruin win.
Stanford resumes Friday's dual match against USC that was halted due to wet weather on Sunday at 12:00 pm.
No. 6 UCLA - 4
No. 18 Stanford - 3
Doubles (UCLA wins doubles point)
1. #59 Francis/Kwinta (UCLA) def. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) - 8-6
2. #42 Kohlloeffel/Gruendler (UCLA) def. Sheng/Wong (Stanford) - 8-5
3. Pampoulov/Lam (UCLA) def. Wan/McKean (Stanford) - 9-7
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #7 Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) - 6-0, 6-2
2. #18 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. #8 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) - 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
3. James Wan (Stanford) def. #48 Kris Kwinta (UCLA) - 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
4. Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
5. #73 Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 6-1, 6-2
6. #66 Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-2, 0-6, 7-5
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive