Sun Devils Down No. 21 Huskies 5-2
April 9, 2005
TEMPE, Ariz. - Husky senior Dea Sumantri and freshman Tara Simpson netted a pair of singles wins, but the rest of Washington's women's tennis team was held in check by the Arizona State Sun Devils today. No. 27 ASU swept doubles play and took four singles matches for a 5-2 win over 21st-ranked Washington (13-8, 2-4 Pac-10) at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
Doubles play went the Sun Devils' way as they scored 8-2 wins at the first and third doubles positions. Senior Mugette and sophomore Saskia Nauenberg kept things close at No. 2 doubles, but eventually went down 8-6 to Sabrina Capannolo and Jessica Leitch. Doubles play has hounded the Huskies this year, as they have lost three straight doubles points and are 6-13 overall.
Simpson continues to ratchet up her game towards the end of her freshman campaign. Her 6-1, 6-4 win over Lauren Colalillo at No. 5 singles is Simpson's fifth in a row. Simpson ties Nauenberg for the most dual wins with 15 and is second on the team in overall singles wins with 21.
15th-ranked Sumantri earned her team-leading 26th singles win of the year, dispatching Capannolo, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. Husky jnior No. 54 Dinka Hadzic was tripped up by Joslynn Burkett, 6-4, 7-6 (7) at No. 2 singles, while Nauenberg lost at fourth singles by a similarly close 7-6 (6), 6-4 margin. The Sun Devils cruised at third and sixth singles, with Kady Pooler defeating Ahn at No. 3 and Rebecca Ranking downing freshman Allison Rainey at No. 6, both by 6-1, 6-1 scores.
The women wrap up their regular season next weekend at home against the rival Cougars of Washington State. The Huskies defeated the Cougars 4-2 earlier this year in Pullman in a non-conference dual. The match, scheduled for Friday, April 15 at 1:30 p.m., will likely be the last home appearances for seniors Sumantri and Ahn.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Arizona State
4/9/05 - Whiteman Tennis Center - Tempe, Ariz.
No. 27 Arizona State 5, No. 21 Washington 2
1) (21) Colalillo/Pooler (ASU) def. Hadzic/Sumantri (UW) - 8-2
2) Capannolo/Leitch (ASU) def. Ahn/Nauenberg (UW) - 8-6
3) Burkett/Rankin (ASU) def. Kolbovic/Simpson (UW) - 8-2
1) (15) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) - 6-4, 6-3
2) Joslynn Burkett (ASU) def. (54) Dinka Hadzic (UW) - 6-4, 7-6 (7)
3) Kady Pooler (ASU) def. Mugette Ahn (UW) - 6-1, 6-1
4) Jessica Leitch (ASU) def. Saskia Nauenberg (UW) - 7-6 (6), 6-4
5) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) - 6-1, 6-4
6) Rebecca Rankin (ASU) def. Allison Rainey (UW) - 6-1, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive