No. 16 Stanford Falls To No. 8 Pepperdine, 4-3
April 12, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The No. 16 ranked Stanford men's tennis team fell to No. 8 ranked Pepperdine at the Taube Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon, 4-3. The loss marks the sixth time this season that the Cardinal has dropped a 4-3 dual match decision, as the squad falls to 12-9 on the season while the Waves improve to 18-2 with their 12th straight victory.
The Waves captured the doubles point by sweeping all three doubles matches to start the afternoon. At the No. 1 doubles position, the No. 9 ranked duo of Pedro Rico and Scott Doerner edged the No. 3 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery, 9-8. The match up at the No. 2 doubles spot was just as close, as senior Phil Sheng and junior Jon Wong fell to Jonas Berg and Ivor Lovrak 9-8. Pepperdine's Kevin Borzenski and Richard Johnson closed out the doubles sweep at the No. 3 position, topping sophomores Eric McKean and James Wan 8-5.
The Cardinal bounced back in singles play, with Warburg defeating No. 13 ranked Rico at the No. 1 singles position in straight sets 6-4, 6-2. Wan also registered a straight set victory for Stanford, defeating Berg at the No. 3 spot 6-3, 6-4. Corkery dropped the first set of his match at the No. 2 position, but rebounded to knock off No. 46 ranked Doerner in three sets 1-6, 7-6, 6-1.
Pepperdine registered wins at the No. 5 and No. 6 singles spots to start singles play. Johnson topped McKean at the No. 5 position 6-1, 6-1, and freshman Phil Kao fell to Alexis Rafidison at the No. 6 spot 6-0, 6-3. The Waves clinched the match at the No. 4 singles position where Sheng fell short in a comeback bid against Lovrak, and dropped a 6-3, 7-6 decision.
Stanford wraps up Pac-10 conference play against Cal at the Taube Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinal closes out regular season play against Santa Clara next Tuesday.
No. 8 Pepperdine - 4
No. 16 Stanford - 3
Doubles (Pepperdine wins doubles point)
1. #9 Rico/Doerner (Pepperdine) def. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) - 9-8
2. Berg/Lovrak (Pepperdine) def. Sheng/Wong (Stanford) - 9-8
3. Borzenski/Johnson (Pepperdine) def. McKean/Wan (Stanford) - 8-5
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #13 Pedro Rico (Pepperdine) - 6-4, 6-2
2. #18 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. #46 Scott Doerner (Pepperdine) - 1-6, 7-6, 6-1
3. James Wan (Stanford) def. Jonas Berg (Pepperdine) - 6-3, 6-4
4. Ivor Lovrak (Pepperdine) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-3, 7-6
5. Richard Johnson (Pepperdine) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Alexis Rafidison (Pepperdine) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-0, 6-3