Top-Ranked Stanford Downs Cal Poly, 7-0
April 14, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - No. 1 Stanford won its 49th-consecutive match this afternoon with a 7-0 win over Cal Poly at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal improves to 20-0 on the season with a 6-0 mark in Pac-10 play, while the Mustangs fall to 8-9 on the year.
The Cardinal swept doubles, with 29th-ranked Amber Liu and Anne Yelsey taking an 8-1 win at court one, Alice Barnes and Theresa Logar posting an 8-4 win at the second spot and freshman duo Whitney Deason and Lejla Hodzic posting an 8-2 victory on court three.
Stanford went on to win all six singles matches in straight sets, with Barnes and Deason both giving up only one game. Yelsey won her match, 6-2, 6-0, on court five, and Liu took a 6-1, 6-2 victory at the No. 1 position. Logar and Hodzic also collected two-set victories to help the Cardinal past the Mustangs.
Stanford will close out the regular season on Saturday, as the Cardinal travels to No. 21 California for a noon match-up with the Golden Bears. Stanford will look to finish the regular season with a perfect 7-0 record in the Pac-10.
#1 Stanford 7, Cal Poly 0
1. No. 29 Amber Liu/Anne Yelsey (S) def. Nicole Shabaz/Samantha Waller (CP), 8-1
2. Alice Barnes/Theresa Logar (S) def. Noelle Lee/Chelsy Thompson (CP), 8-4
3. Whitney Deason/Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Carol Erickson/Paige Billingsley (CP), 8-2
1. No. 9 Amber Liu (S) def. Samantha Waller (CP), 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 29 Alice Barnes (S) def. Chelsy Thompson (CP), 6-1, 6-0
3. No. 45 Theresa Logar (S) def. Noelle Lee (CP), 6-0, 6-5
4. No. 51 Whitney Deason (S) def. Carol Erickson (CP), 6-0, 6-1
5. No. 105 Anne Yelsey (S) def. Nicole Shabaz (CP), 6-2, 6-0
6. No. 38 Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Sheila Lewis (CP). 6-3, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive