No. 22 Women's Tennis Defeats Instate Rival Washington State 5-2
April 15, 2005
Seattle, WA. - Washington's 22nd-ranked women's tennis team rolled to a resounding 5-2 win over their Northwest rival, Washington State, at the Nordstrom Tennis Center, Friday afternoon. The UW underclassmen led the Huskies to victory, with crucial wins coming from freshmen Allison Rainey and Tara Simpson.
Washington (14-8) improved to 3-4 in the Pac-10 standings. The Huskies won the doubles point and four of the six singles matches to defeat the Cougars for the second time this season.
At No. 2 doubles, Washington's Mugette Ahn and Saskia Nauenberg showed great court chemistry by quickly defeating their opponents, 8-5. Simpson and sophomore Monika Kolbovic quickly followed suit by winning in the No. 3 spot 8-6, clinching the doubles point for the Huskies.
In singles play, the Huskies kept up their momentum. Nauenberg, playing in the No. 3 position, quickly grabbed a win for the team beating Washington State's Chris Martinez, 6-4, 6-1. Simpson and Rainey showcased the future of Husky tennis, winning in the No. 4 and No. 5 spots. Svanfeldt continued the trend for Washington, with a 7-5, 6-2 victory.
The final home match of Sumantri's career proved to be a heartbreaker. Ahead 8-4 in the third set tie breaker, 15th ranked Sumantri lost six straight points en route to suffering defeat to Ekaterina Burduli, 6-7, 6-2, 1-0(8). Today marked the second time this season these two players competed, with Burduli winning both meetings. Hadzic also suffered a crushing defeat, losing in the No. 2 spot 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(7).
Up next, the Huskies will start post season play at the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif. April 21-24.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. WSU
April 15, 2005 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 23 Washington 5, WSU 2
(1) Sallai/Martinez (WSU) def. Hadzic/Sumantri (Wash) - 8-5
(2) Ahn/Hauenberg (Wash) def. Gaal/Burduli (WSU) - 8-5
(3) Kolbovic/Simpson (Wash) def. Stefanova/Toth (WSU) - 8-6
Washington wins doubles point.
(1) #71 Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. #15 Dea Sumantri (Wash) - 6-7(5), 6-2, 1-0(8)
(2) Orsolya Sallai (WSU) def. #54 Dinka Hadzic (Wash) - 4-6, 6-4,
(3) Saskia Nauenberg (Wash) def. Chris Martinez (WSU) - 6-4, 6-1
(4) Tara Simpson (Wash) def. Nora Gaal (WSU) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Allison Rainey (Wash) def. Amy Toth (WSU) - 6-4, 6-4 *
(6) Stephanie Svanfeldt (Wash) def. Aleksandra Stefanova - 7-5, 6-2
* match clinching point.