Men's Tennis Take Down the Wildcats of Arizona, 4-3
April 16, 2005
Tucson, Ariz - The Arizona State Men's Tennis Team played their final regular season match Saturday afternoon against the Wildcats of Arizona in Tucson.
The Devils were 7-12 going into Saturday's match against an 8-11 Wildcat squad, with the Devils stepping up to even the records with a win of 4-3 over the Wildcats.
The Devils started the day off well taking the doubles point with Devil duos of Clint Letcher and Jonathan Kinsella and Andy Colombo and Mike Beatty taking wins from the 'Cats to give ASU an early lead.
In singles play, it came down to the wire with the last match of the day deciding who would walk away with the win on the day.
Ryan McBride started the Devils off with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Bruno Alcala.
His fellow Devil, Christopher Biro followed suit with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Jason Labrosse.
The Wilcats were able to take matches 1-3 from the Devils, making the score an even 3-3 with Nick Hegarty and Claudio Christen facing off on court 6 for the win.
In a gritty match, Hegarty was just barely able to pull out the win for the Devils with a 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) victory to give ASU the win.
Results for Arizona State versus the University of Arizona
1. Colombo/Beatty (ASU) def. No. 19 Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) - 8-6
2. Letcher/Kinsella (ASU) def. Alcala/Christen (UA) - 8-6
3. Andrus/Labrosse (UA) vs. McBride/Hegarty (ASU) - 6-6 DNF
Order of Finish - 2, 1, 3
Singles1. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. No. 122 Clint Letcher (ASU) - 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. No. 55 Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Andy Colombo (ASU) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Daniel Andrus (UA) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
4. Christopher Biro (ASU) def. Jason Labrosse (UA) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) - 6-3, 6-2
6. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Claudio Christen (UA) - 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)*
Order of Finish - 2, 3, 5, 1, 4, 6
* - Denotes Clinching Match
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive