No. 1 Stanfolrd Tops No. 21 Cal, 6-1
April 16, 2005
Berkeley, Calif. - Top-ranked Stanford (21-0, 7-0 Pac-10) completed the regular season with a perfect record as the Cardinal topped 21st-ranked California this afternoon in Berkeley. The win marks the 50th-straight victory for the Cardinal, dating back to the beginning of the 2003-04 season.
In singles, the Cardinal swept five matches, but lost a point on court six after Hodzic withdrew due to injury. Hodzic was leading the first set 4-1 when she retired. On court one, ninth-ranked Amber Liu posted a 6-2 win in the first set and then held for a 7-6 (10-7) win in the second set to upset fourth-ranked Suzi Babos. Barnes, Logar and Anne Yelsey each earned a two-set victory to help the Cardinal defeat the Golden Bears, while Deason overcame a 2-6 first set loss with 6-0 and 6-2 wins to take the match.
Stanford will be back in action next week, as the Cardinal travels to Ojai, Calif., on Thursday, April 21 for the Pac-10 Championships.
#1 Stanford 6, #21 California 1
1. #49 Babos/Kusano (Cal) def. #29 Liu/Yelsey (Stan), 9-8 (9-7)
2. Barnes/Logar (Stan) def. Shu/Lee (Cal), 8-0
3. Deason/Hodzic (Stan) def. Visico/Ravelojaona (Cal) 8-3
1. #9 Amber Liu (Stan) def. #4 Suzi Babos (Cal), 6-2, 7-6 (10-7)
2. #29 Alice Barnes (Stan) def. Stephanie Kusano(Cal), 6-2, 6-2
3. #45 Theresa Logar (Stan) def. Monica Weisener (Cal), 6-4, 6-0
4. #51 Whitney Deason (Stan) def. Marion Ravelojaona (Cal), 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. #105 Anne Yelsey (Stan) d. Jessica Shu (Cal), 6-3, 6-4
6. #106 Cristina Visico (Cal) def. #38 Lejla Hodzic (Stan), 1-4 (withdraw - injury)
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 5:00pm PTLive