No. 16 Stanford Topped By No. 24 Cal, 5-2
April 16, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The No. 16 ranked Stanford men's tennis team fell to No. 24 ranked California at the Taube Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon, 5-2. The Cardinal falls to 12-10 on the season and closes out Pac-10 play with a 4-3 mark, while the Golden Bears improve to 11-9 overall and 5-2 in conference action.
Cal began the dual match by taking two of the three doubles contests to capture the doubles point. The No. 3 ranked tandem of senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery posted Stanford's only doubles win, knocking off the No. 21 ranked duo of Patrick Briaud and Conor Niland at the No. 1 doubles position, 8-6. Senior Phil Sheng and junior Jon Wong fell to Tyler Browne and Daniel Sebescen at the No. 2 spot, 8-4, and Cal wrapped up the doubles point at the No. 3 position, with Lennart Maack and Dean Wallace defeating sophomores Eric McKean and James Wan, 8-6.
The Cardinal posted wins at the top two positions in singles play, but suffered defeat in the remaining four singles contests. Warburg, the No. 2 ranked player in the nation, posted a three set win over Niland at the No. 1 spot with a 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 victory. No. 18 ranked Corkery registered Stanford's other point with a 7-5, 6-3 win over the No. 100 ranked Maack at the No. 2 position.
Wan stretched Briaud to three sets at the No. 3 spot before falling 6-4, 0-6, 6-4, and Sheng also fell in three sets to Sebescen at the No. 4 position 4-6, 7-6, 6-0. Browne wrapped up the match at the No. 5 spot with a 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 victory over McKean, and in a battle between freshmen at the No. 6 position, Cal's Ken Nakahara defeated Phil Kao 6-2, 6-2.
Stanford wraps up regular season play with a dual match against Santa Clara at the Taube Tennis Center on Tuesday, before traveling to the Pac-10 individual championships in Ojai next weekend.
No. 24 California - 5
No. 16 Stanford - 2
Doubles (Cal wins doubles point)
1. #3 Warburg/Corkery (Stanford) def. #21 Niland/Briaud (Cal) - 8-6
2. Browne/Sebescen (Cal) def. Sheng/Wong (Stanford) - 8-4
3. Maack/Wallace (Cal) def. McKean/Wan (Stanford) - 8-6
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. #16 Conor Niland (Cal) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. #18 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. #100 Lennart Maack (Cal) - 7-5, 6-3
3. Patrick Briaud (Cal) def. James Wan (Stanford) - 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
4. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 4-6, 7-6, 6-0
5. Tyler Browne (Cal) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 5-7, 6-3, 7-6
6. Ken Nakahara (Cal) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-2, 6-2
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive