No. 7 USC Women's Tennis Easily Sweeps Illinois-Chicago In NCAA First Round
May 13, 2005
The seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team (17-3) easily defeated Illinois-Chicago (13-11), 4-0, in a first round match of the 2005 NCAA Women's Division I Tennis Team Championships at USC's Marks Stadium on Friday (May 13).
USC next will face No. 30 Arizona State, a 4-0 winner earlier in the day over No. 47 San Diego State, in a second round match on Saturday (May 14) at 1 p.m. at USC. The winner advances to the Round of 16 in Athens, Ga., May 19-22.
The Women of Troy beat the Sun Devils, 6-1, in a Pac-10 match in late March.
Illinois-Chicago players did not capture more than 2 games in any match in either singles or doubles play against the Women of Troy. They won only 7 games combined all afternoon.
USC got off to a quick start as the No. 45-ranked doubles team of Lindsey Nelson and Anca Anastasiu swept Iris Jaklin and Melanie Humphrey, 8-0, at the No. 1 spot, followed by Judy DeVera and Carine Vermeulen's 8-1 win over Grace Gill-Morlis and Molly Smith at No. 3. Once those courts had finished play, the match on the No. 2 court was suspended.
It was more of the same for the Women of Troy singles. Vermeulen and then No. 94 Dianne Matias both rolled to 6-0, 6-0 wins on courts 5 (over Gill-Morliss) and 4 (over Humphrey), respectively. Then, No. 53 Anastasiu sealed the victory with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Corey Steven on court 3.
#7 USC 4,Illinois-Chicago 0
May 13, 2005 - USC's Marks Stadium
(1) #45 Nelson/Anastasiu (USC) def. Jaklin/Humphrey (UIC) 8-0
(2) Leimbach/Matias (USC) vs. Steven/Oum (UIC) 7-1 suspended
(3) DeVera/Vermeulen (USC) def. Gill-Morlis/Smith (UIC) 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
Doubles order of finish: 1, 3
(1) #9 Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. Iris Jacklin (UIC) 6-0, 4-1 suspended
(2) #16 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Molly Smith (UIC) 6-1, 5-0 suspended
(3) #53 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Corey Steven (UIC) 6-2, 6-0*
(4) #94 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Melanie Humphrey (UIC) 6-0, 6-0
(5) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Grace Gill-Morlis (UIC) 6-0, 6-0
(6) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Christina Oum (UIC) 6-0, 5-1 suspended
Singles order of finish: 5, 4, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive