Stanford Falls To Pepperdine In NCAA Second Round Play, 4-2
May 15, 2005
Malibu, Calif. - The No. 22 ranked Stanford men's tennis team fell to No. 8 seed Pepperdine in the second round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu on Sunday, 4-2. The Cardinal concludes the 2005 campaign with a 14-11 record, while the Waves advance to round of 16 play next week. Senior Sam Warburg and junior KC Corkery will compete at the NCAA Individual Championships later this month.
Senior Phil Sheng and junior Jon Wong got the Cardinal off to a good start in doubles play, breezing past Kevin Borzenski and Richard Johnson at the No. 3 spot with an 8-2 victory. The Waves bounced back, as Ivor Lovrak and Jonas Berg topped Corkery and sophomore James Wan at the No. 2 position, 8-4, to even the score. The doubles point came down to the No. 1 spot, where Pepperdine's Pedro Rico and Scott Doerner edged Warburg and sophomore Eric McKean, 8-5, to secure the point for the Waves.
Warburg tied up the dual match at 1-1 early in singles play, dispatching Doerner in straight sets 6-0, 6-1. Rico then topped Corkery at the No. 2 singles position 6-3, 6-3, but Wan posted a 7-6 (4), 6-2 win over Berg at the No. 3 spot to pull the Cardinal even once again. Pepperdine's Johnson then defeated freshman Phil Kao in three sets 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 5 position to put the Waves up by one before Lovrak clinched the match with a hard fought three-set win over Sheng at the No. 4 spot, 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-4. McKean was leading his match with Alexis Rafidison at the No. 6 position, but the match was abandoned after Pepperdine clinched the victory.
Warburg and Corkery will both continue their seasons at the NCAA Individual Championships in College Station, TX from May 25-30. Both players will compete in the singles tournament, and will begin the defense of their NCAA title from last year as a duo in the doubles tournament.
NCAA Division I Men's Tennis
Second Round * May 15, 2005
Malibu, Calif. * Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center
Pepperdine 4, Stanford 2
Doubles (Pepperdine wins doubles point)
1. Doerner/Rico (Pepperdine) def. Warburg/McKean (Stanford), 8-5
2. Berg/Lovrak (Pepperdine) def. Corkery/Wan (Stanford), 8-4
3. Sheng/Wong (Stanford) def. Borzenski/Johnson (Pepperdine), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Scott Doerner (Pepperdine), 6-0, 6-1
2. Pedro Rico (Pepperdine) def. KC Corkery (Stanford), 6-3, 6-3
3. James Wan (Stanford) def. Jonas Berg (Pepperdine), 7-6 (4), 6-2
4. Ivor Lovrak (Pepperdine) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford), 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-4*
5. Richard Johnson (Pepperdine) def. Phil Kao (Stanford), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Eric McKean (Stanford) led Alexis Rafidison (Pepperdine), 6-2, 4-6, 5-4 - Did Not Finish
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 5, 4
* Clinched Pepperdine victory
Wed 10/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive