Cal Looks for 4th Straight Win vs. South Carolina State
Dec. 9, 2005
BERKELEY, Calif. -
A LOOK AT THE GOLDEN BEARS
- Coming of a 78-57 triumph at San Jose State, California (7-2) wraps up its non-conference schedule vs. South Carolina State (3-2) Saturday, Dec. 10 at 2 p.m. at Haas Pavilion. The first 200 fans high school age and younger will receive a free Oski doll. The Cal players will sign autographs after the game.
- Pool led Cal with her first career double-double against the Spartans. The Central Point, Ore., product had career highs of 22 points and 10 rebounds and matched her season high of eight assists.
- The Golden Bears look to improve their record to 8-2 for the first time since the 2003-04 season. Cal is also in search of its fourth straight win and its 18th straight home non-conference victory.
- Cal has excelled defensively this season, allowing opponents only 53.2 ppg. To start the week, the Bears ranked 20th in the nation and third in the Pac-10 in scoring defense at 52.8 ppg. Baylor, the defending national champion, is the only team which has scored more than 58 points against Cal this season. The Lady Bears defeated the Bears, 75-58.
- After tallying a season-high 78 points against San Jose State, Cal pushed its scoring average to 64.1 ppg.
- Walker began the week leading the Pac-10 in blocked shots at 2.5 blocks per game. With no blocks against the Spartans, Walker's average is 2.2 bpg. Freshman guard Jené Morris started the week No. 1 in the conference in steals at 3.6 spg, but her average dropped to 3.1 spg after playing only two minutes without a steal at San Jose State due to back pain.
- Senior forward Reneé Wright leads a rejuvenated Cal rebounding effort this season. Wright averages a career-best 8.6 rpg, and the team hauls down 41.1 rpg and owns a +6.1 rebounding advantage. In 2004-05, the Bears were last in the conference in rebounding at 34.9 rpg.
- Following the South Carolina State game, the Bears will take a 10-day break from competition for final exams before they open the Pac-10 season at Washington Dec. 20 and at Washington State Dec. 22. UCLA visits Berkeley Dec. 30 for the Bears' Pac-10 home opener.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Fri 8/18 | 3:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 7:00pm PTLive