Stanford Turns In Impressive Performance At Cancun Classic
Jan. 6, 2006
Cancun, Mexico - The ninth-ranked Stanford women's gymnastics team opened the 2006 season with an impressive effort on Friday night at the Cancun Classic.
The Cardinal tallied a team score of 194.850, just behind the winning effort of top-ranked and defending NCAA champion Georgia. The Bulldogs chalked up a score of 195.650.
Victories by Glyn Sweets in the Vault (9.925), Liz Tricase on Bars (9.875) and Natalie Foley on Beam (9.775) helped the Cardinal in the five team meet which was held at the Moon Palace Resort. Denver, ranked 21st in the country, finished third with 193.850 points followed by tenth-ranked Oklahoma with 193.325, and No. 17 Arizona with 192.925.
Three Cardinal athletes competed in the All-Around. Senior Natalie Foley, an eight-time All-American, finished third (38.975) while freshmen Nicole Ourada placed fifth (38.925) and Kelly Fee placed sixth (38.725).
Stanford will have its home opener on Sunday, January 15 (2 p.m.), at Maples Pavilion against San Jose State, UC Davis and Sacramento State.
1. Courtney Kupets, Georgia, 39.225
2. Katie Heenan, Georgia, 39.200
3. Natalie Foley, Stanford, 38.975
3. Heather Huffaker, Denver, 38.975
5. Nicole Ourada, Stanford, 38.925
6. Kelly Fee, Stanford, 38.725
1. Katie Heenan, Georgia, 9.950
2. Heather Huffaker, Denver, 9.925
3. Tabitha Yim, Stanford, 9.900
3. Courtney Kupets, Georgia, 9.900
5. Natalie Foley, Stanford, 9.8756. Nicole Ourada, Stanford, 9.850