No. 20 USC Drops Opener to No. 1 Virginia 5-2
Jan. 18, 2006
The USC men's tennis team put up a strong fight against the nation's top-ranked team, Virginia, in the Trojans' season opener, but fell 5-2 to the Cavaliers at Marks Stadium on Wednesday. Virginia is now 1-1 this season, and USC is 0-1.
USC's doubles teams nailed down the Trojans' first point of the match thanks to victories from Whit Livingston and Kaes Van't Hof at No. 2 doubles and No. 3 duo Adam Loucks and Garrett Snyder. Livingston/Van't Hof made short work of their opponents Treat Huey and Eric Riley with an 8-3 win, while Loucks put the finishing touches on the No. 3 doubles win with an ace to win the match 8-5 over Nick Meythaler and Somdev Devvarman. Dejan Cvetkovic and Chong Wang teamed up for their first match together and took Rylan Rizza and Darrin Cohen to extra sets before falling 9-7.
In singles play, Virginia won the first three matches in straight sets, while the next three matches extended into decisive third sets. Kaes Van't Hof notched USC's first singles win at No. 2 with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 decision over Doug Stewart, leaving teammates Adam Loucks and Garrett Snyder to continue their battles with their respective opponents.
Loucks forced a third set with a tiebreaker win in the second, but slipped in the third-set tiebreaker to lost his No. 3 singles match 6-4, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (5) to Huey. Snyder took a lead with a win in the first set and got close to cementing the win in the second, but Meythaler held on to grab the win 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-1.
'It was a good match,' USC coach Peter Smith said. 'We weren't ready to win the match, but we showed that we were capable of winning, even with two guys out.'
#1 Virginia 5, #20 USC 2
(1) Rizza/Cohen (UVA) def. Cvetkovic/Wang (USC) -- 9-7
(2) Livingston/Van't Hof (USC) def. Huey/Riley (UVA) -- 8-3
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Meythaler/Devvarman (UVA) -- 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #10 Somdev Devvarman (UVA) def. Dejan Cvetkovic -- 6-2, 7-5
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Doug Stewart (UVA) -- 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
(3) #6 Treat Huey (UVA) def. Adam Loucks (USC) -- 6-4, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (5)*
(4) #53 Rylan Rizza (UVA) def. Chong Wang (USC) -- 6-3, 6-2
(5) Nick Meythaler (UVA) def. Garrett Snyder -- 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-1
(6) #46 Marko Miklo (UVA) def. Whit Livingston (USC) -- 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 1, 2, 3*, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive