No. 20 USC Holds On To Beat No. 43 San Diego State 4-3
Jan. 27, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The 20th-ranked USC men's tennis team got a true test on Friday at Marks Stadium, but gutted out a 4-3 win over No. 43 San Diego State with three singles victories and a tight-fought doubles battle. Both freshman Chong Wang and junior Whit Livingston held on through three-set challenges with their respective Aztec opponents. Wang came back to win his match with Billy Timu 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, and Livingston stepped up again in the third set to win his No. 6 singles match 7-5, 6-3, 7-5 to clinch the victory for the Trojans, who are now 4-1 on the season.
The doubles point turned into a true battle after Adam Loucks and Garrett Snyder won their No. 2 doubles match 8-5. At the No. 1 position, San Diego State's Benedikt Stronk and Markus Dickhardt overtook their Trojan opponents, Jamil Al-Agba and Dejan Cvetkovic, to grab a comeback 9-7 victory and tie up the doubles competition. Meanwhile, on the No. 3 doubles court, Kaes Van't Hof and Whit Livingston were staking a similar come-from-behind effort for USC. The Trojan due locked up the match at 7-7 and 8-8 to bring up the tiebreaker. Two aces from Van't Hof set up match point with a 6-3 USC edge, and Livingston lofted a perfectly placed lob to snag the victory and get USC up 1-0 in the dual match.
USC returns to action next week with its first road dual match of the season. The Trojans travel to Stanford on Friday (Feb. 3) for a 1:30 p.m. match.
#20 USC 4, #43 San Diego State 3
(1) Stronk/Dickhardt (SDSU) def. Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) -- 9-7
(2) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Sabo/S. Timu (SDSU) -- 8-5
(3) Livingston/Van't Hof (USC) def. Groh/B. Timu (SDSU) -- 9-8 (7-3)
USC wins doubles point
(1) Benedikt Stronk (SDSU) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 1-6, 7-6, 6-3
(2) Markus Dickhardt (SDSU) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) -- 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
(3) Christian Groh (SDSU) def. Adam Loucks (USC) -- 6-4, 6-4
(4) Chong Wang (USC) def. Billy Timu (SDSU) -- 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
(5) Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Robert Sabo (SDSU) -- 7-5, 6-3
(6) Whit Livingston (USC) def. Stephan Timu (SDSU) -- 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 6*, 2
# # #