No. 1 Stanford Downs No. 10 North Carolina, 7-0
Feb. 3, 2006
Madison, Wis. - Top-ranked Stanford posted its second-straight shutout and third of the year as the Cardinal downed No. 10 North Carolina, 7-0, today in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Tennis Association/Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Women's Team Indoor Championship at the University of Wisconsin's A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium. Today's win was the Cardinal's 60th-straight victory and the fourth of this season.
Stanford swept doubles again today, with Celia Durkin and Amber Liu picking up an 8-2 win at the two-spot to get the Cardinal started. Second-ranked duo Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey knocked off 11th-ranked Jenna Long and Sara Anundsen to clinch the doubles point, before Whitney Deason and Theresa Logar notched an 8-4 victory to complete the sweep.
In singles, Deason kept the momentum going, winning her match 6-0, 6-1. Tenth-ranked Logar added a 6-1, 6-2 victory, while Liu scored a three-set win over 28th-ranked Long to clinch the Cardinal victory. Barnes, Durkin and Yelsey each added a win to close out the day and help Stanford to the 7-0 victory.
Stanford will take on No. 19 Harvard in the semifinals at 3 p.m. (CT) tomorrow.
No. 1 Stanford 7, No. 10 North Carolina 0
1. No. 2 Alice Barnes/Anne Yelsey (S) def. No. 11 Jenna Long/Sara Anundsen (UNC), 8-6
2.Celia Durkin/Amber Liu (S) def. No. 50 Austin Smith/Meg Fanjoy (UNC), 8-2
3. Whitney Deason/Theresa Logar (S) def. Caitlin Collins/Laura Reichert (UNC), 8-4
order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Amber Liu (S) def. No. 28 Jenna Long (UNC), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 4 Alice Barnes (S) def. No. 46 Caitlin Collins (UNC), 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 10 Theresa Logar (S) def. Sara Anundsen (UNC), 6-1, 6-2
4. No. 2 Anne Yelsey (S) def. Austin Smith (UNC), 6-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Whitney Deason (S) def. Charlie Tansill (UNC), 6-0, 6-1
6. No. 69 Celia Durkin (S) def. Meg Fanjoy (UNC), 6-0, 6-0
order of finish: 5, 3, 1, 2, 6, 4