No. 12 Stanford Beats No. 18 USC 4-3
Feb. 3, 2006
The Cardinal began 'The Stanford Challenge' today with a 4-3 victory over No. 18 USC at the Taube Tennis Center. Stanford, ranked No. 12 in the nation, is now 2-0 in 2006. 'The Stanford Challenge' continues tomorrow (Saturday, Feb. 4) when the Cardinal hosts No. 4 UCLA in a match that begins at 1:00 pm.
In today's match, freshman Blake Muller won his singles match at the No. 4 position to clinch the match for Stanford. Muller defeated Garrett Snyder of USC 6-0, 6-7, 6-4, leading the Cardinal to victories at the No. 1-4 singles positions.
The Trojans earned the doubles point and took a 1-0 lead into the singles competition. All-Americans KC Corkery and James Pade won their doubles match for Stanford, but the Trojans won the doubles point by winning at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
In the singles competition, Stanford took a 3-1 lead when Corkery, Pade and James Wan each won their matches in straight sets. Corkery beat Dejan Cvetkovic at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-4, Pade beat Kaes Van't Hof, 6-3, 6-4 and Wan beat Adam Loucks, 7-5, 6-2
Non-Conference: No. 12 Stanford 4 (2-0), No. 18 USC 3 (4-2)
Doubles (USC wins doubles point)
1. KC Corkery/James Pade (S) d. Jamil Al-Agba/ Dejan Cvetkovic (USC), 8-4
2. Adam Loucks/ Garrett Snyder (USC) d. Jon Wong/Blake Muller (S), 8-5
3. Jeff Kazarian/ Kaes Van't Hof (USC) d. James Wan/Chris Rasmussen (S), 8-4
1. KC Corkery (S) d. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC), 6-3, 6-4
2. James Pade (S) d. Kaes Van't Hof (USC), 6-3, 6-4
3. James Wan (S) Adam Loucks (USC), 7-5, 6-2
4. Blake Muller (S) Garrett Snyder (USC), 6-0, 6-7, 6-4
5. Chong Wang (USC) d. Phil Kao (S), 6-3, 6-4
6. Whit Livingston (USC) d. Jon Wong (S), 5-7, 6-2, 7-6