Cardinal Beats U.C. Irvine 6-1 For Fourth Straight Dual Match Victory
Feb. 10, 2006
Stanford rolled to a 6-1 victory over visiting U.C. Irvine today at the Taube Tennis Center, giving the Cardinal its fourth straight dual meet win to open the 2006 campaign. Stanford moved up to No. 7 in the national rankings this week after its impressive sweep over USC and UCLA last weekend.
Against the Anteaters, senior K.C. Corkery won both his matches at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles. He beat Mustafa Ulukan 6-4, 6-1 in singles, then teamed with James Pade to beat UC Irvine's Trevor Dobson and Ulukan, 8-1 in doubles. Pade, who is 4-0 in singles playing No. 2 for the Cardinal, easily beat Victor Lamm, 6-0, 6-1.
James Wan defeated UCI's Andrei Radulescu at No. 3 singles, 6-1, 6-1, and Blake Muller beat Aaron Ellis 6-1, 6-3 at No. 4 singles. At No. 5 singles, Stanford's Phil Kao beat Alex Sundling 1-0 in the deciding third set after splitting the first two sets 6-1, 6-7.
The Cardinal next plays on February 18 vs. No. 17 California at the Taube Tennis Center.
Non-Conference: Stanford 6, UC Irvine 1
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. KC Corkery/James Pade (S) d. Mustafa Ulukan /Trevor Dobson (UCI), 8-1
2. Phil Kao/Blake Muller (S) d. Aaron Ellis/Andrei Radulescu (UCI), 8-4
3. Victor Lamm/Alex Sundling (UCI) d. Jon Wong/Chris Rasmussen (S), 8-6
1. KC Corkery (S) d. Mustafa Ulukan (UCI), 6-4, 6-1
2. James Pade (S) d. Victor Lamm (UCI), 6-0, 6-1
3. James Wan (S) d. Andrei Radulescu (UCI), 6-1, 6-1
4. Blake Muller (S) d. Aaron Ellis (UCI), 6-1, 6-3
5. Phil Kao (S) d. Alex Sundling (UCI), 6-1, 6-7, 1-0
6. Shimpei Suzuki (UCI) d. Chris Rasmussen (S) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 2:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 4:00pm PTLive