Cardinal Beats Cal 6-1 in 'The Big Match'
Feb. 18, 2006
Stanford ran its 2006 dual match record to a perfect 5-0 with a 6-1 win over No. 16 California in The Big match today at the Taube Tennis Center at Stanford. The Cardinal, ranked No. 6 in the nation, used the strength of its top four players to beat the Bears.
KC Corkery, James Pade, Matt Bruch and James Wan each won their singles and doubles matches today to pace the Cardinal. For Bruch, a freshman who had an outstanding fall and is currently the No. 4 ranked singles player in the nation, today marked his first dual match of the 2006 campaign. He beat Cal's Daniel Sebescen, the No. 79 ranked player in the country, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. Bruch teamed with Wan to win their doubles match over Cal's Tyler Brown and John Pettit, 8-6.
Stanford won the doubles point, then went on to win five of the six singles matches. Corkery and Pade won their doubles match playing No. 1, then each went out and recorded victories in singles. Corkery easily beat Lennart Maack, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1 singles while Pade defeated Tyler Browne 6-4, 6-3 at No. 2.
Wan was a 6-2, 6-1 winner of Cal'sKen Nakahar at No. 4 singles.
The Cardinal returns to action on Saturday, February 25 with a home match against BYU.
Non-Conference: Stanford 6 , California 1
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #5 KC Corkery/James Pade (S) d. Eoin Heavey/Daniel Sebescen (C), 8-6
2. Lennart Maack/Dean Wallace (C) Jon Wong/Blake Muller (S) 8-4
3. Matt Bruch/James Wan (S) d. Tyler Browne/John Pettit (C), 8-6
1. #21 KC Corkery (S) d. Lennart Maack (C), 6-1, 6-0
2. James Pade (S) d. #55 Tyler Browne (C), 6-4, 6-3
3. #4 Matt Bruch (S) d. #79 Daniel Sebescen (C), 6-0, 6-2
4. James Wan (S) d. Ken Nakahar (C), 6-2, 6-1
5. Eoin Heavey (C) d. Blake Muller (S), 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
6. Phil Kao (S) d. John Pettit (C), 6-2, 6-4
Records: Cal (4-2), Stanford (5-0)
Rankings: Cal No. 16, Stanford No. 6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:30pm PTLive