Men's Tennis Falls to #23 USC 6-1
Feb. 24, 2006
Los Angeles, Calif. - The #46 Arizona Men's Tennis Team faced off against Pac-10 foe, #23 USC Friday afternoon, but were unable to take down the Trojan as they fell 6-1 at USC's Marks Stadium, dropping the Devils to 5-2 on the season.
In doubles action, the Devils went into the match only losing one doubles point all season, though the Trojans quickly added to that count sweeping the doubles with a quick 8-4 win over Jonathan Kinsella and Nick Hegarty by Jamil Al-Agba and Dejan Cvetkovic.
In singles the Trojans proved to be just as powerful, taking five of the six singles matches from ASU.
In the one spot, ASU's Jonathan Kinsella didn't go down without a fight as he faced off against ranked opponent, Kaes Van't Hof.
After Van't Hof took the first set from Kinsella 6-4, the Devil dug in taking the second set 1-6, but ultimately falling in the third 6-1.
The highlight of the day came from freshman T.J. Bellama who stepped up to defeat junior Garrett Snyder 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) giving the Devils their sole point on the day, and stopping the Trojans from shutting out ASU.
USC improves to 5-4 on the season, while the Devils remain in LA to face off against another Pac-10 foe as they play the #8 UCLA Bruins tomorrow at noon at the LA Tennis Center.
Results from #46 Arizona State vs. #23 University of Southern California
1.) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Kinsella/Hegarty (ASU) -- 8-4
(2) #38 Kazarian/Van't Hof (USC) def. Miller/Biro (ASU) -- 8-7
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Beatty/Bellama (ASU) -- 8-6
(1) #91 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) -- 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
(2) Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) vs. Christopher Biro (ASU) -- 6-4, 6-2
(3) Jeff Kazarian (USC) vs. Nick Hegarty (ASU) -- 3-6, 6-4, 22-20 (tiebreaker)
(4) Adam Loucks (USC) vs. Wes Miller (ASU) -- 6-1, 6-3
(5) Chong Wang (USC) vs. Mike Beatty (ASU) -- 6-3, 6-2
(6) T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Garrett Snyder (USC) -- 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
Final: USC 6, ASU 1