No. 7 Cardinal Stays Unbeaten With 7-0 Victory Over BYU
Feb. 25, 2006
Feb. 25, 2006
Seventh-ranked Stanford recorded its first shutout of the season as the Cardinal beat visiting BYU 7-0 in a non-conference match at the Taube Tennis Center. Stanford is now 6-0 in 2006 and is one win shy from matching its best start since the 2002 team began the year with seven straight wins.
The Cardinal won the doubles point as head coach John Whitlinger used three different doubles teams, all of which came out on top today. KC Corkery and James Pade are the 11th ranked doubles team in the nation, but today Corkery teamed with freshman Matt Bruch at No. 1 doubles and Pade teamed with freshman Blake Muller at No. 2. Corkery and Bruch beat Jose Lechuga and James Ludlow, 8-3 while Pade and Muller defeated Christian Hand and Jonathon Sanchez, 8-2. Stanford completed the doubles sweep as Jon Wong and James Wan won 8-5 at No. 3 doubles over Dominik Kaufhold and Ivan Kokurin.
In singles play, Corkery, ranked 13th in the country, beat James Ludlow 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1. Pade, who is the No. 89 ranked singles player in the country, beat Kaufhold in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 to run his dual match record to 7-0. Bruch, ranked 10th in the nation in singles, beat Hand 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 3 position.
The Cardinal returns to action on Monday, February 27 when they host eighth-ranked Baylor at the Taube Tennis Center. The match was originally scheduled for 5:00 pm, but due to weather concerns, the match has been moved to 1:00 pm.
Non-Conference: Stanford 7, BYU 0
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. KC Corkery/Matt Bruch (S) d. Jose Lechuga/James Ludlow (BYU), 8-3
2. James Pade/Blake Muller (S) d. Christian Hand/Jonathon Sanchez (BYU), 8-2
3. Jon Wong/James Wan (S) d. Dominik Kaufhold/Ivan Kokurin (BYU), 8-5
1. KC Corkery (S) d. James Ludlow (BYU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. James Pade (S) d. Dominik Kaufhold (BYU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Matt Bruch (S) d. Christian Hand (BYU), 6-3, 6-4
4. James Wan (S) d. Ivan Kokurin (BYU), 6-0, 6-3
5. Blake Muller (S) d. Jose Lechuga (BYU), 6-2, 6-7, 1-0
6. Phil Kao (S) d. Jonathon Sanchez (BYU), 6-3, 6-1
order of finish: Doubles 1, 2, 3; Singles 6, 2, 3*, 4, 5, 1
Records: BYU (3-7), Stanford (6-0)
Rankings: BYU unranked, Stanford No. 7