Cal Hosts USC in Regular-Season Finale
March 3, 2006
USC Trojans (17-11, 8-9) at California Golden Bears (17-9, 11-6)
Saturday, March 4, 5:00 p.m., Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA
Radio: KYCY (1550 AM)
TV: Comcast SportsNet
A Quick Look at the Golden Bears
* California entertains USC at 5 p.m. Saturday at Haas Pavilion in the final game of the 2005-06 regular season. Both schools are coming tough losses Thursday night; the Golden Bears dropped 67-58 overtime decision to No. 15 UCLA, while the Trojans lost at Stanford, 58-56.
* With a win over USC, Cal will clinch the No. 3 seed in the Pac-10 Tournament and will face the Trojans again next Thursday at 6:20 p.m. in the Staples Center; USC is locked in as the tourney's No. 6 seed.
* If Cal loses Saturday, the Bears will be the fourth or fifth seed in the Pac-10 Tournament and will meet either Arizona or Stanford Thursday at 12:20 p.m. in Los Angeles.
* After scoring 20 points vs. UCLA, sophomore F Leon Powe has reclaimed the Pac-10 scoring lead with 19.9 ppg. He also tops the conference in rebounding with 9.8 rpg.
* Saturday marks the final regular-season appearances for four members of the current roster - seniors Richard Midgley, Rod Benson and Martin Smith and junior Steve Panawek - plus senior Jordi Geli, who has a medical waiver for the year. All five are on track to graduate - Panawek in the fall, all others in May - and they will be recognized in a pre-game ceremony before the USC contest.
* Junior G Ayinde Ubaka sank another three 3-pointers vs. UCLA Thursday to give him 53 on the year, a total that ties for the seventh most in school history. Midgley has 46 treys of his own and if he can reach 50, Cal will have two shooters with at least 50 threes for the first time ever.
* Cal's next win will give the Bears 18 victories on the season - the seventh time head coach Ben Braun has guided Cal to at least 18 wins. Nibs Price is the only other coach to lead the Bears to 18 or more wins seven times, but it took him 30 years to reach the plateau (1925-54). Braun is in just his 10th season at the helm.
* Cal is 8-1 in its final regular-season home games under Braun, with the only loss being a 78-76 setback to then-No. 8 Arizona in 2001. Two of the wins have come against USC: 86-73 in 2000 and 83-64 in 2002.
* Cal enters Saturday's game leading the Pac-10 in three-point shooting at 37.4 percent. Since the introduction of the three-pointer in 1986-87, the Bears have never paced the conference for an entire year.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 1/25 | 6:00pm PTLive