Stanford Improves to 12-0 with 4-0 Win Over No. 17 ASU
March 4, 2006
Stanford, Calif. - Rain appeared again during the Cardinal's match yesterday, but No. 1 Stanford played through the heavy rain storms to take a 4-0 victory over No. 17 Arizona State. The teams did not play any doubles matches due to the inclement weather, but four singles matches were completed before the match was halted and the Cardinal had won the necessary four points. The Sun Devils lost their third-straight (6-3, 0-3), while the Cardinal improved to 12-0 on the year and 3-0 in teh Pac-10.
The Cardinal earned singles wins from ninth-ranked Amber Liu, eighth-ranked Alice Barnes, 14th-ranked Anne Yelsey and 35th-ranked Celia Durkin. No. 64 Whitney Deason was leading 50th-ranked Rebecca Rankin at the fifth spot, 6-4, 2-1, and 11th-ranked Theresa Logar was down one set, but up a a game in the second before the match was called.
Stanford will host No. 48 Arizona on Saturday at noon.
#1 Stanford 4, #17 Arizona State 0
1. #9 Amber Liu (S) def. #65 Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #8 Alice Barnes (S) def. #93 Kady Pooler (ASU) 6-0, 6-1
3. #11 Theresa Logar (S) vs. Roxanne Clarke (ASU) 6-7 (7-9), 1-0, unfinished
4. #14 Anne Yelsey (S) def. Wendy Pilecka (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
5. #64 Whitney Deason (S) vs. #50 Rebecca Rankin (ASU) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
6. #35 Celia Durkin (S) def. Jessica Leitch (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
No Doubles Played
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive