Cardinal Suffers 4-3 Loss at Arizona State
March 10, 2006
The Cardinal could not overcome losing the doubles point and playing without the injured K.C. Corkery as Arizona State handed Stanford a 4-3 loss in Tempe. Stanford, ranked No. 12 in the nation, took a 3-2 lead midway through singles, but the Sun Devils posted wins at No.5 and No. 6 to secure the victory and hand Stanford its second straight dual match loss.
The match was tied at 3-3 and was decided at No. 6 singles where ASU's Ryan Waits held off Stanford's Chris Rasmussen in a tough, three-set match. Rasmussen won the first set 6-4, but Waits came back to win the match by taking the next two sets by identical 7-6 scores. Waits won both tiebreakers 7-4.
Stanford was forced to play its second straight match without Corkery, who is ranked No. 18 in the nation in singles and No. 11 in doubles with James Pade. The Cardinal had to juggle its lineup without the All-American senior.
In doubles, ASU won at No. 1 and No. 3 to win the point. Pade and freshman Blake Muller were beaten 9-7 at No. 1 by the Sun Devil's Jonathon Kinsella and Waits. Jon Wong and James Wan, playing No. 3 for the Cardinal, also lost 9-7 to the Sun Devil's Wes Miller and Nick Hegarty. Matt Bruch and Rasmussen, playing No. 2 doubles, beat TJ Bellama and Mike Beatty 8-6, but it was not enough as ASU took a 1-0 into the singles competition.
Bruch, who is ranked No. 9 in the nation in singles, was upset by Kinsella at the No. 1 position, 7-5, 7-6. Stanford then recorded singles victories at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 to take a 3-2 lead as Pade, Wan and Muller gave the Cardinal the lead. ASU tied the score at 3-3 when Miller beat Stanford's Phil Kao 6-4, 6-7, 6-1 at No. 5, setting up the decided match at No. 6.
Stanford returns to action tomorrow as it visits Arizona in a non-conference match in Tucson.
Non-Conference: Arizona State 4, Stanford 3
Doubles (ASU wins doubles point)
1. Kinsella/Waits (ASU) def. Pade/Muller (STAN) 9-7
2. Bruch/Rasmussen (STAN) def. Bellama/Mike Beatty (ASU) 8-6
3. Miller/Hegarty (ASU) def. Wan/Wong (STAN) 9-7
1. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) def. #9 Matt Bruch (STAN) 7-5, 7-6 (2)
2. James Pade (STAN) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
3. James Wan (STAN) def. Chris Biro (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Blake Muller (STAN) def. TJ Bellama (ASU) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
5. Wes Miller (ASU) def. Phil Kao (STAN) 6-4, 6-7 (2), 6-1
6. Ryan Waits (ASU) def. Chris Rasmussen (STAN) 4-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(4)*
Records: ASU (6-5), Stanford (6-2)
Rankings: ASU No. 43, Stanford No. 12