No. 46 USC Suffers a 6-1 Loss to No. 7 Illinois
March 16, 2006
Urbana, Ill. - The No. 46 USC men's tennis team continued its non-conference competition on the road against No. 7 Illinois on Thursday afternoon at the Atkins Tennis Center in Urbana Illinois. The Trojan's faced four ranked singles opponents, and fell 6-1 to the fighting Illini. The only win of the day for USC came from sophomore Adam Loucks at the No. 4 singles position. The Trojans have dropped their past four dual matches, making them 6-8 on the season.
Loucks overcame Ruben Gonzales in three sets, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0(3) in the final match of the day, to give USC its only point. Junior Jamil Al-Agba (Camarillo, Calif./Laurel Springs HS) fell to No. 3 Ryler DeHeart, 7-6 (5), 6-1. Sophomore Dejan Cvetkovic (Montreal, Quebec/ Fla. School of Excellence) was bested by No. 54 GD Jones and Kaes Van't Hof (Newport Beach, Calif./Mater Dei HS), was overcome by No. 8 Kevin Anderson, 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 3 position. In the No. 5 position, freshman Chong Wang (Houston, Texas/ Clear Lake HS), lost to No. 89 Ryan Rowe 6-3, 6-1, and senior Whit Livingston ( Sacramento, Calif./ Jesuit HS) dropped his No. 6 match to Marc Spicijaric, 7-5, 6-2.
USC was swept in the doubles matches, where two of the Trojans' three matchups were against ranked opponents. No. 5 Anderson/Rowe beat Al-Agba/Cvetkovic in the No. 1 position, and No. 60 Loucks/Garrett Snyder was overwhelmed by Jones/Spicijaric 8-6. With the doubles point already decided, Jeff Kazarian/Van't Hof did not complete their set agaist No. 37 DeHeart/Gonzales.
USC continues its non-conference action against UNLV at 5 p.m. on March 24 at Marks Stadium.
1. No. 3 Ryler DeHeart (ILL) def. Jamil Al-Agba (USC); 7-6(5), 6-1
2. No. 54 GD Jones (ILL) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC); 6-0, 6-4
3. No. 8 Kevin Anderson (ILL) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC); 6-4, 6-4
4. Adam Loucks (USC) def. Ruben Gonzales (ILL); 4-6, 7-5, 1-0(3)
5. No. 89 Ryan Rowe (ILL) def. Chong Wang (USC); 6-3, 6-1
6. Marc Spicijaric (ILL) def. Whit Livingston (USC); 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 2, 1, 6, 3, 1, 4
1. No. 5 Anderson/Rowe (ILL) def. Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC); 8-1
2. No. 37 DeHeart/Gonzales (ILL) vs. Jeff Kazarian/Van't Hof (USC); DNF
3. Jones/Spicijaric (ILL) def. No. 60 Loucks/Garrett Snyder (USC); 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive