No. 53 USC Back On Track With 5-2 Win Over No. 61 UNLV
March 24, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The No. 53-ranked USC men's tennis team snapped a four-match losing skid with a solid 5-2 win over visiting #61 UNLV on Friday night at Marks Stadium. Jamil Al-Agba powered back from a two-game deficit and won 10 straight games to tally a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Joel Kielbowic at the No. 1 singles slot and clinch the win for the Trojans. USC improves to 7-8 with the win, and UNLV moves to 11-4. The win also was USC's 12th straight over the Rebels, keeping the Trojans at 12-0 all-time against UNLV.
Doubles power helped the Trojans tack up the first point of the match once again, as Jeff Kazarian / Whit Livingston teamed up for the first time all season and started things off in the match with an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles. #45 Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic next tacked up an 8-2 win at the No. 1 position to secure the doubles point for USC despite an 8-5 loss at No. 2 by Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder.
In singles play, Jeff Kazarian padded USC's early lead with a 6-2, 6-3 win over UNLV's Wesley Burrows just before Dejan Cvetkovic knocked out a 6-3, 6-2 win over Romain Massaro to push the Trojans up 3-0 in the match. That brought up Al-Agba's heroics at the No. 1 position for the match-clinching victory. Adam Loucks slipped up with a 6-4, 6-4 loss to Elliot Wronski at No. 3 singles to give UNLV its first point of the match, but Chong Wang worked the Trojans back to a healthy lead with a win in his match-deciding 10-game pro-set for a 7-5, 3-6, 10-6 victory. That left the No. 6 singles match as the only one underway, and Jonathan Hooper got UNLV one last point with a 6-3, 6-2 win over USC's Garrett Snyder to close out action.
USC kicks off Pac-10 competition next week beginning with a 1:30 p.m. match against Arizona on Saturday (March 31) and then a clash with Arizona State at 1 p.m .on Sunday. Both matches will be held at Marks Stadium.
#53 USC 5, #61 UNLV 2
(1) #45 Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Campbell/Kielbowic (UNLV) -- 8-2
(2) Hunter/Wronski (UNLV) def. Loucks/Snyder (USC) -- 8-5
(3) Kazarian/Livingston (USC) def. Burrown/Massaro -- 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #88 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Joel Kielbowic (UNLV) -- 6-4, 6-0
(2) Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def. Romain Massaro (UNLV) -- 6-3, 6-2
(3) Elliot Wronski (UNLV) def. Adam Loucks (USC) -- 6-4, 6-4
(4) Chong Wang (USC) def. Brett Hunter (UNLV) -- 7-5, 3-6, 10-6
(5) Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Wesley Burrows (UNLV) -- 6-2, 6-3
(6) Jonathan Hooper (UNLV) def. Garrett Snyder (USC) -- 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 2, 1*, 3, 4, 6