No. 1 Ranked Cardinal Now 16-0 After 7-0 Win Over Cal Poly
March 26, 2006
Number-one ranked Stanford ran its 2006 record to 16-0 and extended its winning streak to 72 with a 7-0 shutout of visiting Cal Poly today at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal, which returned to action after a 15-day layoff, won all three doubles matches and all six singles matches to record its 13th shutout of the season.
The Cardinal won all six singles matches in straight sets. Amber Liu beat Samantha Waller at No. 1 singles by a 6-0, 6-0 score. Alice Barnes won her match at No. 2 over Danon Beaty, 6-2, 6-2 and Theresa Logar easily defeated Carol Erickson, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3 singles.
The only set won by Cal Poly on the day came at the No. 4 singles position. Shella Lewis won the first set over Stanford's Anne Yelsey, 4-6, but Yelsey came back to win the match with a 6-0 score in the second set and a 1-0 (10-4) margin in the third and deciding set.
The Cardinal entered today's match with four players ranked among the top-15 in the nation and all six ranked among the top 41. Barnes is ranked fifth, Logar is sixth, Yelsey is 13th, Liu is 15th, Durkin 31st and Deason 41st.
Stanford next plays at Pepperdine on Mar. 29 and Oregon on Mar. 31.
Non-Conference: Stanford 7, Cal Poly 0
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Barnes/Yelsey (S) d. Erickson/Waller (CP), 8-3
2. Durkin/Liu (S) d. Beatty/Lewis (CP) 8-2
3. Hodzic/Nguyen (S) d. Malec/Yarela (CP), 8-5
1. Liu (S) d. Waller (CP), 6-0, 6-0
2. Barnes (S) d. Beatty (CP), 6-2, 6-2
3. Logar (S) d. Erickson (CP), 6-0, 6-1
4. Yelsey (S) d. Lewis (CP), 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Deason (S) d. Malec (CP), 6-0, 6-1
6. Durkin (S) d. Varela (CP), 6-4, 6-1
Records: Stanford (16-0), Cal Poly (9-6)
Rankings: Stanford No. 1, Cal Poly unranked
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive