No. 22 Stanford Upends No. 5 Illinois. 5-2
March 29, 2006
Urbana, Ill. - No. 22 Stanford snapped the 16 match win streak of fifth-ranked Illinois this evening in the Cardinal's first-ever trip to Champaign-Urbana with a 5-2 victory. Stanford improves to 9-2 on the year, while the Illini fall to 13-4.
Stanford started the night by winning the doubles points with victories on courts two and three. The Illini's third-ranked sophomore tandem of Kevin Anderson and Ryan Rowe defended court one, but Cardinal duo James Pade and Blake Muller responded with an 8-6 win over 26th-ranked Ryler DeHeart and Ruben Gonzales, before Jon Wong and James Wan sealed the doubles point with an 8-5 win over GD Jones and Marc Spicijaric.
In singles, Stanford came out strong, winning five of the first six sets in singles. No. 18 Bruch put the Cardinal up 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over third-ranked DeHeart at the one-spot. No. 24 KC Corkery added to the Cardinal lead with a 6-4, 6-3 win over 82nd-ranked Rowe.
Trailing 3-0, the Illini made a push, winning on court two, but Wan was fighting for a win in straight sets on court four, and he held for the 6-2, 7-5 victory to clinch the Stanford win. Muller added a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 to give Stanford the 5-2 victory.
With the win over Illinois, Stanford now has victories over three of the last four NCAA team champions this season.
Stanford will host Oregon on Friday at 1:30 p.m. and No. 26 Washington on Saturday at 1 p.m. Both matches will be held at the Taube Tennis Center.
No. 22 Stanford 5, No. 5 Illinois 2
Atkins Tennis Center * Urbana, Ill.
1. No. 18 Matt Bruch (STAN) def. No. 3 Ryler DeHeart (ILL); 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 41 GD Jones (ILL) def. James Pade (STAN); 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 24 KC Corkery (STAN) def. No. 82 Ryan Rowe (ILL); 6-4, 6-3
4. James Wan (STAN) def. Ruben Gonzales (ILL); 6-2, 7-5
5. Blake Muller (STAN) def. Pramod Dabir (ILL); 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. Marc Spicijaric (ILL) def. Phil Kao (STAN), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 6, 5
1. No. 3 Anderson/Rowe (ILL) def. Corkery/Bruch (STAN); 8-4
2. Pade/Muller (STAN) def. No. 26 DeHeart/Gonzales (ILL); 8-6
3. Jon Wong/Wan (STAN) def. Jones/Spicijaric (ILL); 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3