No. 53 USC Edged Out 4-3 By No. 12 Stanford
April 8, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The No. 53-ranked USC men's tennis team opened their Pac-10 clash by winning the doubles point for the third straight match, but the Trojans once again ended up in a 4-3 loss -- this time at the hands of No. 12 Stanford. USC moves to 7-12 overall and 0-4 in Pac-10 play with the loss. Adam Loucks and Chong Wang finish a two-win Pac-10 weekend in singles play with their respective victories against the Cardinal.
Although USC lost at No. 1 doubles, Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder and Jeff Kazarian / Kaes Van't Hof each nailed down doubles wins at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, to put USC up 1-0 in the match with the Cardinal.
Dejan Cvetkovic's 6-2, 6-0 loss to James Pade at No. 1 singles leveled the match at 1-1, and then Loucks pumped out a 6-1, 6-4 win over Blake Muller at No. 4 to put the Trojans back ahead 2-1. Once again, Stanford closed in with James Wan's 6-0, 7-6 win over Whit Livingston at No. 6. That left three matches still raging.
At the No. 3 position, Van't Hof was putting up a fight against James Wan, but the Cardinal pulled out a 7-6 (4), 6-4 victory to go up 3-2 in the match. The remaining two matches extended into a third set. At No. 2, Stanford's #24 KC Corkery came back to beat Jamil Al-Agba in three 4-6, 6-1, 6-1, standing as the match-clinching victory for the Cardinal. At No. 5, Chong Wang outlasted Jon Wong by claiming a 10-game tiebreaker in the third for a 4-6, 7-5, 10-5 win that made it 4-3.
USC continues its Pac-10 competition next weekend with a trip up north. The Trojans face Washington at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (April 14) in Seattle, and then head to Oregon for a 1 p.m. match against the Ducks on Saturday (April 15) in Eugene, Ore.
#12 Stanford 4, #53 USC 3
(1) Pade/Muller (STAN) def. Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) -- 8-3
(2) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Corkery/Kao (STAN) -- 8-4
(3) Kazarian/Van't Hof (USC) def. Wan/Wong (STAN) -- 8-6
USC wins doubles point
(1) James Pade (STAN) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 6-2, 6-0
(2) #24 KC Corkery (STAN) def. Jamil Al-Agba (USC) -- 4-6, 6-1, 6-1*
(3) James Wan (STAN) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) -- 7-6 (4), 6-4
(4) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Blake Muller (STAN) -- 6-1, 6-4
(5) Chong Wang (USC) def. Phil Kao (STAN) -- 4-6, 7-5, 10-4
(6) Jon Wong (STAN) def. Whit Livingston (USC) -- 6-0, 7-6
Order of finish: 1, 4, 6, 3, 2*, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive